High cpu usage caused by tiworker.exe

on my computer there's a windows operating system called 

Tiworker.exe 

how do I fix this issue on windows 10 platform? 

I have tried many ways Microsoft explained but cant figure out where the settings are located on mine due to their explanations referring to windows 8 being the platform they were referring to

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

Question Info

Last updated August 23, 2019 Views 104,197 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Jacob,

The TiWorker system process is related to Windows Update. This is one of the critical process included on in Microsoft Services and must not be mistaken for any malware issues. If there are any updates happening or if the computer is scanning for any update release, this system process may use resources on your computer, the reason why you see it has high CPU usage under task manager. This is completely normal. For your reference, kindly visit the link to a similar thread provided here: Windows 10 high disk usage caused by Tiworker.exe.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same concern.

137 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

this system process may use resources on your computer, the reason why you see it has high CPU usage under task manager. This is completely normal.

Come on ! Using 30% of the CPU for downloading updates, is certainly not a normal process. Mainly when it lasts hours.

At least this is clearly an inacceptable process. The computer and OS belongs to the user and the user decides what he does witha computer. This is not to any other person to decide how I have to use my computer

Therefore, there is a malfunction somewhere

One solution is to kill the process. Another one, is to undo the latest update, because some updates are bad and cause a lot of problem on the computer (they reinit some program for instance). Do not hesitate to remove some windows updates when you have problem and you will save time.

129 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there a posibility to start the process manually or at least schedule it! 

Sorry but it's really annoying being blocked just because Windows likes to update. 

31 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I noticed this today, too.  I was not doing anything, Chrome was open but on a static page.  Closed Chrome and still noticed high CPU usage.  Sort Processes by CPU and it was bouncing 20-30%. Reading that it is the update process so I ran Windows Update and there were no updates.  I did not look at network activity but CPU Usage declined a little but WTF is is still using so much?  And why is it ALWAYS running?

"Critical" suggests it will crash the system if terminated.  I killed the process without any issue. 

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a pretty clean hard drive.  Little eztras installed, and I’m offline, no network connextion, no WiFi, and TiWorker is grinding my hard drive and blowing my fans full blast! It’s been doing it for almost am hour.  Almost steady 30% CPU to just ToWorker.   Don’t tell me it’s downloading or installing anything.  Maybe it’s really indexing...

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I opened Resource Manager and at one point counted 42 instances of TiWorker running, mostly low priority.  Each working on a sifferent file. When the Hard Drive activity went to 100%, the CPU activity dropped and the fans slowed down.  This just last 10 seconds or so, and the tbe CPU is back up to 30% and the fans are screaming.  All this with the network off. 

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to your Windows Update setting and change it Never check for updates and it should never be a problem ever again. Just remember manually check for updates once in the while.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a better solution that takes a little while to perform but actually works.

From the start menu type disk clean up and open it from the search results.  Select the C: drive and click ok.

It will run for a few minutes and then pop-up the files to delete window.  Don't select delete instead click on find System files button, and wait for it to finish.  this can take a while depending on your system.  When it's done,  I usually choose everything but the issue seems to be with the Windows update Cleanup, so make sure it is checked. 

While disk clean up is running, I go into the Windows/Temp folder and delete it's contents and if prompted to skip or retry I skip those file that are in use.  Also under the C:/ drive in file explorer you might see file folders that are random Numbers and Letters you can delete these files.  You can leave them if you don't feel comfortable deleting them, most times these are empty files leftover from updates that were installed and are usually empty.  They cause slow log in and reboots.

Then I go into the control panel and open configuration manger select the Cache tab.  Choose the configure settings button and select the Delete Files button.  Note I usually change the Amount of disk space to use to 12,000.  When you select the delete files button another window appears.   Check the box to include "Delete persisted cache content" and wait for it to finish deleting after you click on the delete button. Close this window.

Now open a task manager window and chose the process tab. at the bottom choose the button to show processes for all users. 

Sort the process by clicking the heading of the memory usage column. By this time your disk clean up should be about done where you can delete the windows update cleanup.  Now go back to the task manager and you will see Trusted installer at the top along with cleanmgr.exe  Wait for them both to finish or drop down in memory usage.

Note this can take awhile I've had it take an hour for the memory to drop down from the hundred thousands.  This is usually when the disk cleanup window goes away.

Now do a restart and watch as windows will run updates and reboot.

Note: This also works in Windows 10 but the process is Tiworker, instead of TrustedInstaller.

Sorry in Windows 10 task manager you want to show more details and click on the Details tab. Select the heading for Memory so higher memory use is at the top and Tiworker will show up .

36 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I just had a clean Win 10 Pro image from IT put on laptop last week (made sure IT didn't quick format the drive... made them do a full format and put a totally clean image (outside of their normal cruft and who knows when the image was built).   Did all the MSFT updates and loaded Office 2016, VS Code and SSMS 2017.    The laptop was sluggish and the fan was loud from day 1.   @Rob Fulford's answer fixed high cpu issue for me giving me more battery life (1.5 hrs before - 5+ hours after).   No more jet airplane fan noise and no CPU utilization lag!   Thanks Rob!  

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The very best solution for this is to use BES:

http://mion.faireal.net/BES/#download

Download it, unpack to your ProgramFiles, then Run as Administrator(it's important, otherwise BES won't see TiWorker.exe!) then choose target TiWorker and limit it to whatever you want. I limited it to 30%, by setting -70% (i.e. "reduce the usage by 70%) and now TiWorker is much slower, but I don't really care - it still works and doesn't bother my fan.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.