Frequent BSOD critical_process_died error, then upon restart computer cant find a hard drive to boot to--Windows 10

The folks at Cyberpower were not able to solve my problem, but I'm hoping someone with more technical skills can. I am getting frequent BSODs with the error as critical_process_died.  The blue screen stays at 0%, then restarts, and upon restarting, it asks me to select the proper boot drive (neither hard drive is listed as an option).  I have to restart the computer again for the computer to find a hard drive and boot to windows. The BSODs are now happening within 10 minutes of restarting the computer whereas just a day or two ago it took a couple of hours or longer to crash.

I've tried updating windows (Windows 10), updating all drivers in device manager, updating my BIOS, running sfc, running Memtest on each RAM stick, running Seatools on both hard drives, and just about everything else I can find, all without errors.  I've uninstalled pretty much everything that did not come with the computer when Cyberpower sent it back to me supposedly repaired.  I just dont trust that they have a clue what they are doing. 

Two likely related problems are that a memory dump file is not created upon crashing even though I have followed the instructions mentioned elsewhere in this forum to make sure one is created, and that chkdsk will not run upon startup even though I've asked it to do so to the C drive where windows is installed.

I am desperate for a solution as this is my primary work computer and I have lost a ton of time trying to fix it with no success. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Specs:

OS Name             Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063

Other OS Description      Not Available

OS Manufacturer             Microsoft Corporation

System Name    DESKTOP-5TDH8P1

System Manufacturer     Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model   G1.Sniper Z170

System Type       x64-based PC

System SKU        Default string

Processor           Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date          American Megatrends Inc. F21, 3/6/2017

SMBIOS Version               3.0

Embedded Controller Version     255.255

BIOS Mode         Legacy

BaseBoard Manufacturer             Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

BaseBoard Model            Not Available

BaseBoard Name             Base Board

Platform Role    Desktop

Secure Boot State            Unsupported

PCR7 Configuration         Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory         C:\WINDOWS

System Directory               C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device        \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale   United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer        Version = "10.0.15063.0"

User Name         DESKTOP-5TDH8P1\rgpea

Time Zone           Mountain Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)             8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory  7.96 GB

Available Physical Memory          5.27 GB

Total Virtual Memory     9.83 GB

Available Virtual Memory            6.92 GB

Page File Space 1.88 GB

Page File             C:\pagefile.sys

Device Encryption Support           Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions          Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware               Yes

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection       Yes

|
Answer
Answer

I posted this thread on Intel's forums and received the following response via email: 

We understand your SSD 535 series is having BSODs issues and you have not been able to reload the operating system on it.

We would like to let you know that we have seen this similar situation before with this series of SSDs, so we do recommend to you the following:

-Make sure the BIOS of your computer is updated
-Burn the following ISO and install this update on the SSD
-Here is a guide on how to install the firmware on the SSD

If this does not work, we do recommend a secure erase as well, click this link to get more information.

Regards,
Nestor C

While I had already run every Intel utility I could find and updated the latest drivers, burning the ISO to a USB stick and running it has fixed the hard drive.  I've been running it for about 8 hours error free.   

Thank you both for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 3, 2019 Views 2,560 Applies to: