Freezing Issue after Win 10 Anniversary update

Any official response yet on the freezing issue that is affecting some computers after installing the anniversary update?

I had to roll back to the previous version in order to get anything done today after several hours wasted on this update.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2018 Views 22,094 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yes, I did a completely clean install. I'll try the install integrity checklist but I have pretty low expectations at this point.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please go over the Windows 10 Performance and Install Integrity Checklist - Microsoft Community to make sure it's set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs done.

In particular establish a completely clean boot and uninstall any AV to test with built-in Defender which offers best OS performance anyway. 

Can you pinpoint exactly what was installed or changed before the freezing began since it ran fine for awhile before that? 

Also compare the install you did with the perfect install in Clean Install Windows 10 which has no reported issues for those who stick with the tools and methods given which work best with Windows.

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Approaching 100,000 helped in forums. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-19, Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

After experiencing frustrating freezes for weeks while trying multiple fixes unsuccessfully, I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10. Worked fine for 3-4 days and now it's back to freezing again. Generally freezes about 1-3 minutes after powering up an logging on. 

This is unbelievably frustrating. Like several others have noted, I don't have any weird setup. I have a 1TB HDD and kept all the default file save locations after the clean install.

At this point, I'm trying to figure out whether to try to find a way to get 8.1 installed and give up on 10 all together. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I did this as well.  Then it started the forced upgrade process again a few days later.  That one got aborted / failed, and since then I have been working fine.

Now it's attempting to force me to do the failed update all over again.  Probably start refusing to boot again.

Why the heck can't Microsoft just stop this stupid forced update, especially given it's track record with flawed software.

It's especially bad when it starts when you are away from power and the update starts being forced with 10% battery life left.

And it's not even like I have some weird hardware spec:  8GB Lenove Thinkpad T540P / I7, with 1TB disk and about 800GB free space....

Any official response yet on the freezing issue that is affecting some computers after installing the anniversary update?

I had to roll back to the previous version in order to get anything done today after several hours wasted on this update.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here, however, there is light at the end of that tunnel!

After many various attempts to fix I resorted to meeting my deadlines with an old macbook, I simply ignored the problem for an entire FOUR DAYS. When I attempted bootup again to make the final call on heading out for a new hardrive - it was fine. Absolutely everything functions just as it did but with the update - which was rather anti-climactic and offered its own frustration for the amount of time wasted.

Be patient... I guess.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Yuri -

Use whichever method works to access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 .   If none of the other methods work it may be necessary to create a   Recovery drive or  Create Windows 10 Installation Media on another PC to boot using the BIOS Boot Menu Key , choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, then on second screen choose Repair Your Computer 

In the Advanced Troubleshoot options try (in this order) automated Startup Repair, System restore, then if necessary from Startup Settings try to get into Safe Mode with Networking, or lastly Safe Mode.

From Safe Mode w/Networking work through the Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist

If Safe Mode doesn’t work or help stabilize things then return to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10.   Next try Command Prompt  to run Checklist repair commands including sfc /scannow, to see if it will repair and start, Reset Your Windows 10 PC, or use the new tool to Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows.  Reset Your Windows 10 PC

At any time you can Rescue Files when Windows Won't Start .

There are additional steps here for  Troubleshooting Windows 8 and 10 Failure to Start - Microsoft Community

Better yet do the vastly superior  Clean Install Windows 10   following the steps in the link to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest.  After install reactivate with your Product Key, automatically from embedded Product Key if a factory install,  or if free Upgrade has already activated so that it has permanent Digital Entitlement.

If these fail you can try to run Factory Recovery from it’s hotkey at boot; find yours by googling the “PC make/model + Run Factory Recovery.”    

Factory Recovery methods

Feel free to ask back any questions and keep us posted on how it goes.    

Approaching 100,000 helped in forums. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Sorry this didn't help.

Since you say you've confirmed the Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist then the next step with repeat BSOD's is to post up the crash file for analysis as specified in  Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) - Microsoft Community .

Again, the BSOD analysts here are some of the best in the world and will not waste time with someone who is rude and abusive.  You need to stop with that now if you want further help from volunteers here, or take it to a shop for minimum $150. 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You're right, I am interested in venting until Microsoft fixes the issue. You can post all the "helps" you want, but they don't work. I decided to follow your ridiculously long instructions last night, step-by-step, again wasting hours of my precious time to "clean install" something that was installed right the first time and Microsoft screwed up. Step-by-step. 

As I finally get onto my freshly installed Windows 10 and begin to open browser windows, BAM, BSOD. I no longer wait for it to gather data because we all know that's doing nothing. I did a hard boot. Then restarted. Barely 10 minutes of being online later, there it comes again. 

You say not a single complaint after following the instructions? Yeah, they are venting elsewhere because they know that doesn't work and that's all they'll get. 

You don't like how you're being talked to? Don't give false help. My beef is with Microsoft which gave us a stable OS, probably the first stable OS in years, and then screwed it up and are refusing to stand up and fix it. They even took away our option to rollback so we're stuck with it. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Please help I dont even have a computer anymore, anniversary update ruined my entire life.

Sorry this didn't help.

Who do you think you're talking to?  We are volunteers at a peer help forums, not Microsoft. 

I was trying to help you and only need polite civilized responses to my questions in order to proceed.  If you'd work with us decently then we would do whatever is necessary to get the problem solved.  But we have no obligation to take abuse or work with anyone who is less than appreciative of our giving our time to help. 

As it was I gave you several different resources to consider ways to avoid problem Updates, yet you made no effort to study or discuss these. What this means to me is someone only interested in venting, not solving a problem. 

Sorry this didn't help.