Freezing bug in File Association dialog found in Windows 10

Hello,

First of all, it is worth mentioning that this freezing bug has been present since Windows 8.1 and it's still reproducible with Windows 10 Pro 16299.125 that I now have. Doing a reformat and reinstalling Windows 10 along with installing the latest Windows updates doesn't fix the problem. The "sfc/ scannow" doesn't show any issues. 

The problem occurs when using the File Association dialog in the old Control Panel, not in the new Settings app of Windows 10. It's a "soft lock" freeze that can be undone by opening the Task Manager and closing the problem causing dialog. Please see below for steps.

Steps to reproduce the freezing bug:

1. Open the old Control Panel and search for "file association" where you can change the programs associated with specific filetypes.

2. Clicking on that would give the File Association dialog:

3. Select a random filetype and click "Another program" in the right upper corner.

4. A "Windows 10" style menu pops up in which you can choose a program. Click "More Options" in that menu and scroll down to click "Search another app on this PC" (mine is in Dutch):

5. A browsing dialog appears in which you can choose a program. Don't select anything and click on "Cancel" to close the browsing dialog again.

6. The File association dialog will now freeze and you can't select anything nor move or close the dialog.

7. Opening the Task Manager shows that the browsing dialog still seems to be open although you have cancelled it (it is shown as "Choose an app" in Task Manager):

8. The File association will only unfreeze if you close the above mentioned process in Task Manager.

I'm running Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Creators Update version 16299.125

Specs: nVidia GTX 660Ti, CPU i5 3570K, 8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD.

Anyone able to reproduce this?

Moved from:    Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

|
Answer
Answer

You can try changing the Country or region on Settings > Time & Language > Region & language.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 10, 2021 Views 249 Applies to: