Finally got a bluescreen, after a bunch of displayflickering and video crashes

Hi,

got a bluescreen, here are the dump and info files:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqFwVwW0FKh6bDdvBOkaw_OUNkM?e=4ilyHT

I have random Display driver restarts, involing game crash, recording software bugged out and video in vlc and youtube/twitch also crashing

EventViewer Warning: Display ->"Display driver amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Motherboard: maximus VII Ranger

CPU i7-4790K @4Ghz x4

GPU Radeon RX 580
Windows 10 

Gpu is overclocked, should be pretty safe tho, followed very popular yt video lul.

Disable for now i guess.

i had reinstalled windows fully and had a display flicker very early on even without the adm adrenalin software installed.(seems hardware faulty)

the bluescreen just now happened, after the display flickered 3 times while a youtubevideo was playing, couldnt do anything, mouse was frozen audio still playing till the bluescreen.

I also had the pc once boot without a display connected, as soon as i connected the displays i was looking at 2 black screens with no reaction from the pc no matter what i tried -> hold power button.

this faulty startup also occured from time to time(mostly when i started my monitors late)

dual monitor AOC G2460PF (DP) and AOC 22B1H (hdmi)

Would be a wonder, if someone could me out what cause the bluescreen

I think the problem is either some issue with power supply, or the gpu is just kinda dead

Cheers, and thanks in advance

|
Hi Edw33344,

I'm Paul, an Independent Advisor. I hope I can help you with your concern.

The BSOD error is caused by "amdkmdag.sys".
The problem is definitely related to your graphics card.

Please try the troubleshooting methods from the link below.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-800

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites.
The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, thank you for the answer thats already helpful.

I can tell exactly what i did, maybe you guys can tell that something is wrong?

I followed this guide, which seems to be very trustworthy.

-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1dGwFOdFLI

I used Afterburner and steadily increased Core Clock and Memory Clock by some amount.

In the video he slowly increased it until he started seeing visual bugs and then put it a few steps back.

I personally didnt let the PC run for ~15mins probably more like 5 mins, but I also didnt wait for visual glitches.

I increased Memory Clock from 2100 -> 2700 and it worked fine, so i kept it at 2600.

For Core Clock i want from 1150 -> 1390. worked fine and kept it at 1350.

Also the screen flicker occured after a fresh windows install, before any overclocking.

Could that still be remaining damage from overclocking before? Or doesnt a fresh windows install even reset those settings?

Thank you for the help again. Im following through the Guide right now.

Cheers

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, overclocking can heat up the PC and overheating can damage hardware components.

Anyway, If the solutions I mentioned above I suggest that you test your GPU using Furmark to check if it's not faulty. Make to reset to stock clock speed before doing this.
You can follow the instruction from the link below.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/13081-furma...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites.
The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good news,

The crashes have not occured again yet!

These are the recent Changes i applied after the last crash:

-paging file full reset with restarting pc in between setting changes

-changed power cable from socket into psu

(I only have 1 PCI cable from psu to gpu, but it splits into 2 gpu output's so)

-switched the gpu end of the pci cable

-changed psu slot used for gpu

- set a value for TdrDelay (8)

I have a feeling it has something to do with electricty not reaching the gpu very well.

Ofcouse im also not using overclock anymore, but im thinking of enabling it again and trying it with proper fanspeeds.

It used not start up my custom fanspeeds on startup, but still the overclock. This shouldnt have been too big of a problem but still something.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

welp, its back unfortunatly, i have also tried updating every single driver with "Driver Easy"

Also didnt work, Im buying a new psu -> gpu cable in the meantime. at this point this is highly likly a hardware issue.

On another note i can make the card crash now, with a very specific sequence inside of a game. layering multiple windows on top of it with a autohotkey third party programm.

QUESTION:

Can we try to RECORD the crash now with me being able to reproduce it, so we can get a really good tell of why its happening?

Cheers

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sry, i cant log back into my account, so ull just have to take my word for it, that im the thread opener :D

Anyway,

In this issues the Grahpicscard was perfectly fine.

Im pretty certain, that it was actually the CPU!

A lot of other tasks, that the cpu was resposible for werent exactly smooth either.

The most likely explanation is, that the CPU kept failing to integrate the gpu into the chrome tasks, because hardware acceleration was enabled.

If you have your gpu crash because of opening certain graphics in your browser, just disable hardware acceleration.

Although it would mean that your cpu is slowly kicking the bucket.

Anyway, i switched my GPU into a completly new rig and it works fine now.

Cheers

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 18, 2021 Views 134 Applies to: