Ever since KB4284835 (June cumulative) Windows 10 x64 1803 (17134.112) devicecensus.exe crashes daily

I've been checking my reliability history, and every day, when I turn on the computer, devicecensus.exe has been crashing, with the faulting module of WaaSAssessment.dll. Windows Update Medic Service also crashes, with the faulting module of WaaSAssessment.dll, same error code.

This has been going on, conclusively, since the June cumulative update was applied (KB4284835).

I am on Windows 10 x64 17134.112, and the Spectre variant 2 patch (KB4100347) has been applied. I mention Spectre because I don't think that is being deployed via Microsoft Update yet. It was deployed manually from a standalone installer.

Any idea what went wrong? SFC /scannow has been applied. There is no problem with the OS image.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2019 Views 1,609 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello R. Hansen_690,

A damaged registry key might be causing the devicecensus.exe to crash. Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, make sure to install the latest build for Windows 10 version 1803. A new build was released last June 26, KB4284848 (OS Build 17134.137). You can manually download the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog website. If you're not sure which System type you have, you can refer to this page.

If you have a third-party security software, I suggest disabling it temporarily and monitor if the same issue occurs. Other third-party security software may cause conflict with some system components, causing it to crash.

Another method for isolation is performing a clean boot. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you use your Windows 10 device. This support article has the steps on how to perform a clean boot in Windows 10. You can also watch our YouTube video

for more details.

NOTE: Please go to the section: Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the PC in normal startup after fixing the issue.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Okay, I updated to 17134.137. We'll see if that fixes things. I don't hold out much hope for that, though, since it was 17134.112 that appears to have broken it in the first place. This began immediately after updating to build 112.

I could try uninstalling the rollups (revert to 17134.83) and see if the error still occurs to try to prove that conclusively.

I am running Microsoft Defender, so no third-party security software running.

The last time I tried to use msconfig to perform a clean boot, my machine wouldn't boot and I had to restore from backup because it wouldn't return to the last known good configuration for some reason. For that reason, I'm going to do that after my regular system backup on July 4. I'll have to run in a clean boot configuration for over a day, though, because this only happens once-a-day when the task launches.

So I've taken some of the steps so far. I'll let you know tomorrow if devicecensus.exe crashes again (with build 137), and I'll do the clean boot and let you know around July 5th or 6th.

Sorry this didn't help.

Another question: Is there any downside to just killing the task in Microsoft/Windows/Device Information? Is a devicecensus really necessary?

Also, I'm using ShutUp10 to block telemetry transmission (I like my privacy). Is it possible that registry changes to telemetry keys could have broken it?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I suspected, the KB4284848 patch did nothing for the problem.

devicecensus.exe still crashed the next morning.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for that information. Were you successful with performing a clean boot? Can you tell me the results?

For further isolation of the issue, I recommend creating a new user account. For the steps on how to create a user account in Windows 10, please refer to this support article. Name the new account as "Test" for distinction and see if the same issue occurs.

The Device Census (devicecensus.exe) checks your system in order to determine which updates are compatible with your machine.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay. I ran my backup and then did a clean boot. Only Microsoft Windows default stuff running.

devicecensus.exe still crashes with the same faulting dll.

In addition, I set all the telemetry back to "on" and tried it out. No dice.

That does sound important enough to fix. This task is running as SYSTEM. There's no way to create a new user account that has the same access as SYSTEM. Do you want to just create a vanilla admin account and try running it from there?

Also, do you want me to try the new account from a clean boot, or is a regular boot okay?

I'll wait for your reply. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I created an admin account called "Test" without doing a clean boot.

devicecensus.exe still crashes.

Please don't ask me to refresh Windows. I'm not going to screw up all my apps for this issue.

It's the update. I'm going to uninstall it and prove that. I'll let you know the result.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yup. Sure enough, I reverted to 17134.81 and devicecensus.exe ran without a hitch.

I'm going to reinstall each update one by one in sequence, and see if that gets me to a good place.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, here's the results.

81-->83        No crash

83-->112      BAM! devicecensus.exe crashes

The problem is KB4284835.

Because you guys are doing only rollups now, there's no way to isolate it any further.

It's probably happening on other machines, but most people aren't going to notice it because most users won't be checking their reliability monitor weekly. I do that, because things break.

What do I do about it?

Thanks for all your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your effort in isolating the issue through various Windows 10 build. Since the issue only occurs in Windows 10 version 1803 OS Build 17134.112 (KB4284835), I encourage you to submit a feedback to our engineers using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

For more information on Feedback Hub, see our support article and YouTube video

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.
  5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
  8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link.
  10. Paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique> link).

Windows Update will continue to offer and install updates on your computer once its components have verified that it is compatible with your machine.

Feel free to post in the Community forums if you have additional concerns.

Sorry this didn't help.