Does/Could the Windows 10 boot loader affect Windows XP ?

I have a multi boot system, two installs of XP and Windows 10.

Everything was working fine on an old Nforce 4 motherboard from 2006 with AMD X2 4200 CPU.

This board finally died just recently and was replaced with a used combo, ASRock 960GC-GS FX motherboard,

AMD FX 4300 CPU and 4 GB's of DDR3.  Running regular BIOS with MBR (no uefi/gpt)

Windows 10 took the change of motherboard in it's stride and is working normally.  For Windows XP I ran the repair install,

which over wrote the Win 10 boot loader with it's own.  I continued testing XP like this for a couple of days.  Everything was good.

Then I ran the Win 10 startup recovery and re-implemented Windows 10 boot loader - now the boot menu shows boot

Windows 10 or "earlier versions of Windows" -  as it was originally.

Windows 10 still fine, but when I use XP, I'm getting these strange crashes in various programs, for example, avast anti-virus,

Firefox and Tmpgenc mpeg encoder.  Looking at the summary for the Tmpgenc and Firefox dumps show "exception illegal instruction".

Here is one:  https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/a7e4d91d-b28e-4c54-a8cd-a77492161031

This continued for a few days, while I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what is going on.  Finally I run the XP recovery console

"fixboot" to restore the XP boot loader.  Now when I use XP everything is back to normal.  No more crashes anywhere.

These crashes only occur when XP boots through the Windows 10 boot loader.

Any idea what is going on ?

Question Info

Last updated January 2, 2018 Views 112 Applies to:

I guess my post must have made people's eyes glaze over.

The only thing I can say is that my Windows XP systems have suffered no further problems

when booting from their own boot loader.

But I suffered many crashes with "exception_illegal_operation" when XP was booted via

the Windows 10 Boot manager.  I switched back and forth numerous times and my findings were

repeated.

No one have any comments?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This is more than likely caused by driver issues, that Motherboard was designed for Windows 7+

Whilst drivers are available for XP, you would get a more stable environment by dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Is there specific software you need to run on XP and why is XP installed twice . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Sorry this didn't help.

<two versions of XP ?>

Historical reasons, I installed one for the family and the other for some testing purposes.

But that's besides the point surely?

My point is XP is working absolutely fine on the hardware but ONLY when I boot using XP's loader

natively. (directly from the Bios/HDD MBR)

My adventures with Windows 10 came to an abrupt end when the motherboard was replaced

and I lost activation.  It is still installed though.  If I purchase a retail Windows 10 and install it

to replace the one I just mentioned, I'm still going to face this same problem.

On this PC, Windows XP will not work properly if the Windows 10 loader is the first to get control,

as is the case in most dual boot scenarios.

When the Windows 10 boot loader gets control and the user selects "earlier versions of Windows",

the  XP boot sector is loaded and all the old NTLDR/ntdetect.com/boot.ini gets control just as if you'd

booted to it directly from the bios/MBR.

So you would think the results for XP would be the same.  But then why am I seeing these crashes

in XP when it is done that way?

Sorry this didn't help.