Do I really need Distributed Com and Component Services Administrator Tool ?

Windows 10x64 Pro 1703 Creators version. 

Does a single computer user of W10 (not connected to a public network or a private workgroup *with multiple PC's) really need Distributed Com and Component Services Administrative Tool along with its guardian, the Distributed Transaction Coordinator.

Setting up this 'system' for W10x64 is not easy for a first timer and it's easy to make a mistake which might negatively impact your existing O-System. (Create  a Restore Point *first, and then on an "as needed basis" as you proceed.....!!) 

If your actual problem is spending countless hours running down a fix for a W10 event error, for example 10016, is it really worth it?

I agree with those that take Windows 10 error event messages seriously... Simply dis-abling an event log is not a very elegant way of solving a problem...! It seems a better way might be to spend some time gaining a basic understanding of the sub-system a person is working in. Hence, my question regarding the Component Services and its overseer the Distributed Transaction Coordinator. 

So my new question needs an informed answer;  Do I really need Distributed Com and the Distributed Transaction Coordinator in W10x64 ???????

thank you.

Please advise   

Hi,

Distributed Com and Component Services Administrator Tool is part of network components of Windows operating system. If you disabled it, the communication of components on other computers will not be available. You can read this article: Enable or Disable DCOM to know if you need them or not. If you are connected to a network or HomeGroup computers, it is not recommended to disable it.

Let us know if you need more help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Distributed Com and Component Services Administrator Tool is part of network components of Windows operating system. If you disabled it, the communication of components on other computers will not be available. You can read this article: Enable or Disable DCOM to know if you need them or not. If you are connected to a network or HomeGroup computers, it is not recommended to disable it.

Let us know if you need more help.

[Thank you for the response.....  *I will take you up on additional help...]

I am using W10x64 -1703 on my home computer connected only to an always on connection the  the internet. The PC did not feel to be hampered by any problems, while trying to fix Error events reported in the Event Viewer i encountered numerous Error Events I did not expect to encounter. 

Q: Why is my current PC encountering so many reported error and warning events having to do with "Server" and server "Client" issues?

For example, I can not remember ever having to *configure DCOM and COM+ on my PC in the past.......?  Note,*configure is the "key word" hereI do recall DCOM being previously installed on one of my Win-OS, because I remember having to fix  DCOM Error 10016 in the past; but that was the extent for me need to configure an existing system.  Now I am having to configure systems I have never had to work with in the past. *Something is wrong with the picture; as my past Win-OSs never required this much work and knowledge before. 

I am getting DCOM errors, performance counter errors,  performance library errors, Search errors, Service Control Manager errors, Device Setup Errors, etc. Based on what I see online, I am not alone when dealing with these errors and trying to fix them....  Has Microsoft decided to introduce system services into W10 that were not evident in previous Windows OS like Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro, and eariler versions of W10Pro? Am I being placed in a position to use Windows 10 HOME from now on simply because I am not operating an Enterprize Client?  Why does Windows 10 1703 require so much configuration by the end user? It is beginning to look as if the only way out this current maze is to turn off DCOM and some other system components. 

I am hoping someone can give me an explanation and/or an informed answer to questions about Microsofts W10 1703 and I suspect 1709!..... Thank you 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We would like to confirm if your Windows component is now working perfectly.

If you need more help, you can contact us again. We are just here for you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In response to your reply above: 

I used the following 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/4022522/dcom-event-id-10016-is-logged-in-windows-10-and-windows-server-2016

I completed the Registry Edit as outlined... Exit Registry Editor. OK

Start DCOM Config (dcomcnfg).
-Expand Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config.
'Right-click the application that corresponds to the *AppID that's recorded in the event log..
Select Properties.
Select the Security tab:.
In the "Launch and Activation Permissions" area, select the Customize option, and then select Edit.
---I got lost at 'EDIT'

>The application is Runtime Broker, the *AppID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47c8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

> Advancing to the Security Tab, the Launch and Activation Permissions  "Customize" radio button is already selected.

>The Edit button is activated.

> The result is a Windows Security Warning Message (see below) 

In the Warning Message above, "One...of the permission entries attached to Registry Value has an unrecogized or application specific callback....."

Results from pressing "CANCEL" button of Warning Message: (below)

If I knew the HCLM key address I was working with, I would examine it first. I am reluctant to choose the "REMOVE" buttom from the "Warning Message" (above) without knowing the existing registry data.....  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 10, 2021 Views 5,109 Applies to: