Display problem - menu is hidden behind gray bar of part of previous program is displayed on the bottom

Hello,

I have several computers that have the same problem. At random a gray bar is displayed on top of the current windows explorer but only when it is maximized. IT can also be that on the bottom of the screen a bar with a part of the previous active program is displayed.

The only thing that helps is rebooting the computer.

I already tried to update all drivers where possible. I uninstalled all software they don't need. But still the problems persist.

It are all HP machines, 3 laptops and 1 desktop.

Below you can see some screenshots.

|

Hi GeertN77,

There are several reasons why you experience this concern on multiple PCs. It could be due to a software bug after an update, a corrupted group policy settings or a software conflict. I'd like to get more information regarding this so we could further check and provide a more established workaround. Kindly answer the following:

1. Have you made any changes on your computers prior to the issue?
  2. Do you have a 3rd party anti-virus installed on your computers?
  3. What is the current build and version of your Windows?
  4. Are your computers connected to a company domain?
  5. Did the issue happen right after you made an update?

To isolate the issue, try changing your screen resolution and desktop theme. Some of the desktop screen issues are being fixed by just resseting the display settings. Give it a try. If this issue happened right after an update, unintsalling the latest update would be our next step. With this, we will identify if this is an update issue or not.

Just in case your computers are connected to a domain server, your Windows10 display issue is more appropriate to be posted in IT Pro TechNet forums since it’s happening on multiple machines with a domain environment. Please post your question in the TechNet forum. This forum caters to IT professionals (IT pros) that are responsible for supporting multiple computers in a professional capacity in a work environment. IT Pros generally manage and perform large scale rollouts of software to multiple desktops. This usually involves business environments and networks.

Keep us posted.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, for us it was because of the zoom "125%"

It's seems to be a bug...

Regards

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only thing that helps is rebooting the computer.

What all else have you tried?  It looks like a rendering error, so you need to do things that would refresh the video system.  The simplest one would be Win+Ctrl+Shift+B.   Otherwise, what about using a Snap window command and tell us what you see?   Win+CtrlRight for example.   However, note that that would not necessarily cause a video system refresh, just try to re-render a problem window while the video system was in its current state.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Robert,

I will definitely let them try the Win+Ctrl+Shift+B to see if it's a driver issue when the problem occurs.

For me it's some a rendering issue linked with the scaling. The external screen is on 1920x1200 with 100% text size. The laptop screen is on 1920x1080 with 125% text size.  When the they have to problem and I change the text scaling to 100% the problem is gone. But unfortunately this is not an option as the text would be to small on the laptop.

If I right-click on the gray or black bar I get the menu as if I right-clicked on the desktop. 

After trying for weeks I reinstalled the (hp) laptop from scratch, so without the rescue disks. Plugged in a fresh created usb stick with windows 10 pro on it. It seemed to be solved, but after 2 days I got the user back on the phone telling me she had the same problem.

I find it very strange. More thinking, like Arnaud said, it's a Windows bug due somewhere with the software they have installed on the laptops.(Win10 Pro - O365 - Acrobat X Pro - Admin Consult - Teamviewer - Chrome - Watchguard VPN - F-Secure AV)

I'm going to try to contact HP Support in a few days . But I don't think this will solve anything because I got the same problem on a Dell all-in-one.

I'll keep you posted.

Grtz,

Geert

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 3, 2021 Views 6,068 Applies to: