Disk Usage at 99-100% but the Task Manager doesn't show what is actually causing it.

This is kind of hard to describe but I've been having a problem of the Disk Usage at 99-100%.  I just did an update to the Windows 10 version 1807 and ever since then, when I check my Task Manager to see how the computer is doing, it will still sometimes be running that hard, but it says that everything running is at 0Mb/s, so I can't even tell what is causing issues.  

I contacted Microsoft about it and they remoted in to check it but they said that everything was fine.  I am not sure how that can be the case but I figured I would ask around and see if any one else is having a problem similar to this.

|

Hi Norik_of_Tineir,

If your computer has an unknown application or process that is using a high percentage of memory, disk, or CPU usage, it will now require your operating system to be refreshed by performing a Clean Boot. This includes the resetting of system processes that are running under services.msc (System Configuration).

In the meantime, we recommend rebooting your computer in Safe Mode to return Windows 10 to a basic state. It can help you to allow troubleshooting most issues on your computer. To start your in Safe Mode, visit this link: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10 and look for steps under the “From the sign-in screen” section.

When you successfully performed a Safe Mode, your next step is to clear the bad applications that causes performance issues on your computer. Visit this link: How to perform a clean boot in Windows to know how to do this.

You can watch this video to know how to perform Clean Boot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYJfK4hpQM

Once done, here are the other things that you can do:

• Disable all your third-party anti-viruses and enable Windows Defender only.
  • Keep at least 30% or 30GB of free space on your hard drive for optimum results.
  • Make sure that your hard drive is not full (With warning message indicated in red color).
  • Make sure you are using an Administrator account.
  • Unplug all unnecessary external devices that are not currently in used (External hard disk, webcams, USBs, etc.).
  • Have a stable Internet connection.
  • No background applications running.
  • All other programs and applications that are not in used were closed.
  • If you are using a laptop, make sure that the power adapter is plugged in.
  • Update the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) driver by downloading them from your computer manufacturer’s website.

You can also download and run our easy fix solutions from this link: How to use Microsoft easy fix solutions. Once there, click the Find and fix problems with Internet Explorer performance hyperlink. Download and run it to start the troubleshooting.

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

4 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, Thank you so much for your valuable question please, I would suggest you to please see the below mentioned article and see if it helps. I am hopeful that your query will be resolved, If the issue persists kindly do let me know,waiting for your kind reply please.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-10/tro...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Please let me know, if that helps and feel free to ask back any question.

Kind Regards:
Yasir

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

See if this fix helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-100-pe...

Let us know if this helps!

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Helping Windows users, since 2010 · Please remember to mark replies as answers, if they helps!

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Norik_of_Tineir,

Open Task Manager

Click on the Disk Column header, so the arrow faces down

When your disk is at 100% what are the top 5 processes?

More than likely this is caused by Windows Updates, but for the moment, please monitor that and report those 5 top processes . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
please run Resmon and analyze data in its Disk tab.
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2021 Views 19,537 Applies to: