Disabling Windows Compatibility Telemetry - Windows 10

Split from this thread.

This is still a problem in Windows 10 as of May 2017 (the Creators Update). It's pounding the HDD so hard on startup that I have to wait several minutes before I can use the computer. This only became really noticeable for me recently.

Question Info

Last updated February 14, 2020 Views 4,733 Applies to:

Hello,

Windows telemetry inform our decisions and focus our efforts in providing the most robust, most valuable platform for your business and the people who count on Windows to enable them to be as productive as possible. Telemetry gives users a voice in the operating system’s development. For more information regarding Windows telemetry, you may check this article.

If you don't want to participate in providing automatic feedback to improve the operating system, we can disable Windows Telemetry by following these steps:

1. Run the Services desktop application.
  2. Locate Diagnostics Tracking Service in the services list, and open its Property Sheet.
  3. Stop the Diagnostics Tracking Service, and then change the Startup Type to Disabled.
  4. Click OK.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't have that service. I only have Diagnostic Policy Service, Diagnostic Service Host, and Diagnostic System Host.

Great to hear an official response though!

I can also verify that the preciously mentioned Process Blocker works beautifully with this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Windows telemetry inform our decisions and focus our efforts in providing the most robust, most valuable platform for your business and the people who count on Windows to enable them to be as productive as possible. Telemetry gives users a voice in the operating system’s development. For more information regarding Windows telemetry, you may check this article.

If you don't want to participate in providing automatic feedback to improve the operating system, we can disable Windows Telemetry by following these steps:

1. Run the Services desktop application.
  2. Locate Diagnostics Tracking Service in the services list, and open its Property Sheet.
  3. Stop the Diagnostics Tracking Service, and then change the Startup Type to Disabled.
  4. Click OK.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

All your reply does, is show Microsoft's disconnect from reality. For one, there's no longer a Diagnostics Tracking Service. That's no coincidence, btw, as MS purposely keeps changing the compat telemetry stuff around (so people have a harder time disabling it). And/or keep re-enabling the compat telemetry in nearly every update. Read the thread. So, processblocker is the ONLY thing, so far, that truly, and persistently, blocks your compat telemetry now.

'Telemetry gives users a voice in the operating system’s development.' And, pray-tell, what is this?! Am I supposed to feel empowered now?! If you guys would REALLY listen to us, you wouldn't be constantly going out of your way to shove the compat telemetry in our faces to begin with.

But since this is the probably the closest we get to having your ear, please hear this: compatTelRunner is an incredibly invasive piece of software, which constantly keeps your disk(s) bogged down. For instance, I have some junctions on my SSD to my game disk. And no, I really don't want the combat telemetry malware to scan my entire game disk at every change made to my install. I really don't. And I really don't get why you people don't get that.

If you really want us to 'be as productive as possible', then stop trashing our hard disks!

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I absolutely agree with meimeiriver2. Nothing seems to be able to disable this wretched process in the 1703 Creators Update (build 15063) versions of Windows 10, apart from killing the task (over and over again). Compattelrunner.exe is causing slow PC performance, excessive disk I/O and high temperatures for my PC. Hundreds if not thousands of others are having similar issues.

Microsoft - please work on this, either give a genuine disable option on build 15063, or work to make Compatelrunner.exe MUCH less disk heavy. It's a terrible burden for little obvious gain.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

meimeiriver2 and others, such as myself, might be, MIGHT BE, happy to assist Microsoft some day, IF you quit FORCING tracking, updates, and CORTANA, down our throats. What Microsoft either fails to realize, or REFUSES to realize, (so they can keep sticking their noses into OUR business), is that some of us use programs such as my DAW. (that's "Digital Audio Workshop") to create, produce, mix, and master songs of varying nature, (covers/originals/commercials/TV/whatever), and when these moronic programs kick in with their snooping around, tracking, and the like, it KILLS MY ENTIRE CREATIVE PROCESS.

I THOUGHT Microsoft wanted to ENCOURAGE these kind of things. Instead, you are tying our wrists, ankles, gagging, and blinding us. See, most of us are NOT dealing with some kind of mental disability, although I AM dealing with a disability, so my MUSIC is MY LIFE. And, being that our mental stability, at least for now, seems mostly ok, I think we can run OUR OWN UPDATES when WE ARE READY to do it, NOT when Microsoft CHOOSES to hold our hands and treat us like 2 year old's. 

Also, when I CHOSE NOT to send information, or have tracking done, as to protect MY songs and the like, I THOUGHT that desire/wish/choice was BEING HONORED. Yet, after years of doing my own updates, never having an issue doing so, and LOVING the fact I WAS IN CONTROL OF MY COMPUTER, Microsoft decided to become the "iNanny State". 

When I am creating in my DAW, when all of a sudden I look down in the middle of recording something I worked months, if not long on, and my CPU is peaking out, "Pop's, Crackles, Hisses, " and all kinds of other crap start DESTROYING MY SONG. This is NOT enjoyable, although it may be, for Microsoft. I have to entirely shutdown my entire session, and, once again, begin the hunt for all the added crap I NEVER ASKED TO HAVE ON THE SYSTEM I PAID FOR, and, WHICH BELONGS TO ME. PLEASE, I've asked, begged, w/e for this to stop. Others have as well.. please, fix the issues. Cortana MAY be nice for some, for ppl like me? She's a NIGHTMARE. So is this stupid tracking program, along with this recent obsession of Microsoft's, to hold our hands for Windows Updates. DO YOU HEAR YOUR PEOPLES CRYS??    Sincerely, Tim.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you,   meimeiriver2 , for posting a response that is approx. 100x's more helpful than Microsoft themselves choose to be. I didn't know that in the year 2017 of our Lord, we would need one of the largest computer companies to hold our hands to update something we've done ourselves for years, track our data for "Their Good",  and have a "iNanny" when we never requested one. 

If they at least provided some extremely simple methods of shutting these damn things down, for when I'm in my DAW, or you are Gaming, THAT would be of some assistance. However, although I've repeatedly asked, since Win10 came out, for some of this, at least, to be addressed, there has only been vague promises of "Microsoft is looking @ this right now and, I believe, is working on a fix", which, of course, never comes. 

Maybe I, too, can find some help from your suggestion at least, since Microsoft seemingly has risen above their customers, to a point where now, it seems, they fancy themselves some type of Deity. Amazing. 

Anyway, back to normal speak- Thanks for the post. Much appreciated.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tim,

We encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub.  You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

For more information on Feedback Hub, see our support article and YouTube video

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.
  5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
  8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sorry this didn't help.