Disable CTFMON.EXE WIN10

I want to know how to disable CTFMON.EXE on Windows 10 as I have no need for it. How do I do this on Windows 10? I am not experiencing any kind of performance problems either-- I just have absolutely no need for it and want as little stuff I need running as possible for max performance, and it's just how I am.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2019 Views 49,119 Applies to:

Hi Yamito,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

What Is the Ctfmon.exe (Ctfmon.exe) File?
Ctfmon.exe activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar.

What Does the Ctfmon.exe File Do?
Ctfmon.exe monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies.

Can I Remove the Ctfmon.exe File?
Removing the Ctfmon.exe might cause problematic behavior in your Office XP programs, so removing it is not recommended. To prevent Ctfmon.exe from running, follow these steps.

You can run Process explorer and suspend the program ctfmon.exe from running on PC.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, I disagreed with the official answer so I decided to chip in.

Control panel -> Admin tools -> services -> Touch Keyboard and Handwriting panel service

Set this to disabled and stop the service.

This will disable the ability to use the onscreen keyboard, but I doubt you need it.

347 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked

Thank You

renee lucidi corbally

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

unfortunately this also caused my Bluetooth keyboard to stop functioning

and upon turning it back onnnn

this computer basically feels like it gained 116 lbs and developed asthma. 

before today i'd never seen the program open on windows before and I check task manager frequently. 

HOW didt his program, with a very unique icon in task manager sneak by without me knowing (because if I need it for my Bluetooth keyboard to function, it must have been enabled some how...... amiright? 

anyway my computer is so effin slow right now the keys are delayed. it's obnoxious,. I went searching for things to close in task mgr so I could do some work on photoshop. 

talk about your all time backfires

Control panel -> Admin tools -> services -> Touch Keyboard and Handwriting panel service

This will disable the ability to use the onscreen keyboard, but I doubt you need it.

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings all,

I've been in the same situation as digitalbath the past few days - on my laptop and desktop. They are both crawling. I don't even want to use with computer. I've been using a super cheap Android tablet lots more than either computer cuz they're so slow.

Like digitalbath I have been searching Process Explorer - looking for hogs. Today it took over 5 minutes for my laptop to respond after it hung when I started Proc Exp. I too saw a few things that I wanted to inquire about and one was ctfmon.exe . Once I learned it's purpose (and I use that term loosely) I knew I shouldn't need it. It took a good while to find how to stop the process, and longer still to prevent it from starting with Windows 10.

I found many sites telling how to remove the ctfmon.exe file, but all for old Win versions. FInally found the service that starts it up and disabled it.  I do have Office 2013 and was concerned about it having issues but I started Word and all was fine - so far.

And digitalbath, my Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard are both still working. This is on my laptop. I always use Logitech mice and keyboards. Just curious, what brand of Bluetooth keyboard are u using? If you don't have big bucks invested in your keyboard, and you're not closely bonded to it - check out a Logitech. They have zillions of keyboards, from $8 to $100. The one I'm using on the laptop cost me about $20, and today they have come up with a couple of new versions with some added features - at about $35-$40. It has about 50 programmable keys/options with the SetPoint software that comes with it, and it's somewhat compact - which I wanted for my laptop. Compact, but it has full keys, 10 key pad, and the function keys at the top are about half the size of most F keys. And they are programmable with several options.

After I heard your KB stopped working, I was worried about my touch pad on the laptop being disabled without ctfmon. Nope, anyway not yet. I've not done a reboot yet so we'll see the true story after I do that. Then I'll be going to my desktop and doing the same thing.

I disabled just 2 other services that were running, and my laptop started acting like it's supposed to. I was working on Chrome with 2 windows open, about 10 to 12 tabs on each window. I wish I knew what fixed it, but something tells me it was ctfmon. The other 2 items I stopped in services were 1. An Add-On service for Fox-it PDF Reader and 2. Dropbox Update Service.  I have a program that I run periodically that checks installed programs to see if they are running the current version.

Below are instructions from a site telling me how to change my settings so ctfmon would not try to run. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, and I did NOT have any option like the site listed here:

Control Panel > Regional Options > Date, time and language > Regional and Language Options.

Then, select the Languages tab, and click Details. Next, click the Advanced tab. 

Under System Configuration, check the box next to Stop advanced text services. Click Apply > OK

Maybe they were using Windows 10 Home, dunno why my ctl panel was different. I doubt that the latest Windows upgrades would have made changes to the content of the ctl panel.

I still haven't found a way to prevent it from auto starting - either on a triggered event or with Windows Startup. Does anyone have an answer to this?Thx, 

Cat

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a question. How can I permanently turn CTFMON.EXE on every startup?

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

WONDERFUL reply, and thank you.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm running Win 10 Home 64 bit.  I too have CTF Loader listed in Task Manager.  I want to disable it.  I don't have a touch display, I don't use Office at all.  I want it disabled so I run   Bluestacks.

I've tried all of the suggestions here with no luck.  Any other suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.