Correct way to Permanently and Completely Prevent wermgr.exe instances via Registry

I need my purpose built high end PC to process audio real time to mix or record music.

wermgr.exe has constantly been a problem flooding my local network, drives, and causing real time freezes to my audio playback by locking up the CPU with system interrupts.  I'm very technical and have run latencymon and identified wermgr.exe as THE main culprit. 

Post updating to the latest version of Windows 10 64 Creators edition, this has seen this problem make it almost impossible to work on my projects, many of which may have 50 tracks in a music project or many more (sometimes over 100 tracks).  I've eliminated the DAW, the VST plugins, the motherboard, the CPU, the SSDs, the RAM, etc etc.  The configuration I have should fly with ease.  I have high end equipment including a Thunderbolt based interface on a PC, which again all tests show are working brilliantly.

Latencymon clearly show all sorts of problems all coming directly from the havoc wermgr.exe causes!  I do NOT care about sending Microsoft information at ALL, WHEN it impairs my primary activity to mix/record music.

I have followed the processes to try to disable this PEST, including disabling it in the services panel setting it to "disabled".  Yet it keeps proliferating in my systems, even after all sorts of troubleshooters, adjusting the BIOS, and doing some minor changes in the Registry.

Now I just what to totally root it out completely, except for any functions that are necessary to the OS operating correctly.  That's where I'm unclear.  I could just do something like the following old article refers to to change the Registry, but I'm concerned that with the latest OS version, that there may be some unknown side effects, hence reluctant to do this without some guidance:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-do-i-disable-error-reporting-in-windows-2626074

So, when I requested support from Microsoft, I was given the run around, and told I needed to pay them lots of money to get support to do this!  WTF!!! This is Microsoft's screw up, NOT mine!!!!   They sent out a pathetic 101 how to email that was completely useless and frankly insulting, and some old and ineffective solution approaches I'd eliminated and even directly said so at the time of discussing the situation.  I was also denied having my problem escalated (without paying an amount of money).

I believe this is actually an unethical way to bait customers via extortion just like the Ransom-ware cyber criminals do, in order to use your own DATA!!!!  This stupid useless, and to me totally unnecessary and sabotaging disruptive spyware is 100% Microsoft's responsibility.  Yet they fob this 5th rate crappy OS code on us, and then position to extort us and will NOT give a straight answer, support or solution, or any kind of option to prevent the wholesale disruption they have caused.  I'd appreciate some guidance on which method I should use to kill wermgr.exe in the registry for good.

Question Info

Last updated June 19, 2019 Views 4,479 Applies to:
Reply In reply to deleted message

Hi,

The "wermgr.exe" file or process is part of System32 folder. When a component of an operating system has been missing or corrupted, your computer will function in an unusual behavior. To make sure that your files are in a healthy state, it is imperative to repair or restore them since they are part of Windows.

There’s a built-in utility called System File Checker tool that helps users to perform scanning, repairing, and restoring of missing or corrupted files of a computer. You can visit this link: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files to know how to run this tool.

Get back to us if there are any findings after the scan.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

The "wermgr.exe" file or process is part of System32 folder. When a component of an operating system has been missing or corrupted, your computer will function in an unusual behavior. To make sure that your files are in a healthy state, it is imperative to repair or restore them since they are part of Windows.

There’s a built-in utility called System File Checker tool that helps users to perform scanning, repairing, and restoring of missing or corrupted files of a computer. You can visit this link: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files to know how to run this tool.

Get back to us if there are any findings after the scan.

Hi Johann,

Thanks for responding.  FYI:  I've already gone through all the 101 approaches including this one, re-installed windows countless times, tried running several trouble shooters.  I've read countless documents both on the Microsoft site and third-party sites.

Believe me, my CPU is not even breaking a sweat, RAM is spot on, both the practical and theoretical PCIe based NVNe SSD I/O is completely up to handling the loads I have.

As I said above, latencymon has identified the main issues.  This becomes a problem when all sorts of Microsoft "error monitoring"/"monitoring" services etc clog up several key things that kill my ability to play and process multiple tracks in REAL TIME.  For those who don't understand this, please see this "101" Youtube video so this becomes clearer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE

The challenge is that things like wermgr.exe proliferate so that there are ridiculous instances that spawn to the point the network is saturated with the tidal wave of these things, AND it also causes numerous Hard Pagefaults locking up key CPU cores.

Hence even though ALL my CPU i7 7700K cores are showing minimal loads, often irrelevant and disruptive Microsoft "services" cause extreme pops/cracks/stutter and major drop outs and distorted playback while I'm trying to mix.

I purpose built my PC to handle the loads I throw at it, and theoretically it should be screaming.  Whenever I kill off some of these parasitic sabotage Microsoft "Services", I get IMMEDIATE IMPROVEMENT!

Does this make sense?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you tell us the results of the SFC scan? We would like to determine if there are any integrity violations made by the process on your computer.

If you disable "wermgr.exe" there is a big risk that it will render your whole operating system unusable. Having said, files from System32 folder are extremely important. The same thing goes when changing or editing any of the Registry values and the computer's default Group Policy.

Computer processes and system applications were carefully tested and programmed by our developers. This means that creating these executable files have no intent in bringing harm on computers. If yes, it will not boot most of the users' computer that is using Windows 10.

Get back to us if you found anything after using System File Checker.

Sorry this didn't help.

Not the permanent registry fix you were looking for but you can try going to Start  , then select Settings > Privacy > Feedback & diagnostics.

Try changing the diagnostic data sent to Microsoft to "Basic" if not on that setting already. I also opted to disable having Microsoft "...provide more tailored experiences" and changed the Feedback Frequency prompts to "Never".

Having done that, I think only the first change will have much bandwidth benefit.

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-feedback-diagnostics-and-privacy

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I found some useful links on www.thewindowsclub.com. Please reply as to whether any might have solved your issue.

Manage Windows 10 Telemetry and Data Collection settings

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-telemetry

Disable Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program using GPEDIT or Registry

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-windows-customer-experience-improvement-program

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.