Computer Keeps Crashing with BSOD - DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE message - PLEASE HELP

For the past week and a half, my computer has started having constant BSOD crashes that have been giving me the 'DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE' message constantly.  After doing some research, I have tried many different suggested threads and have taken the following actions to try to remedy the situation but still am getting this BSOD crashing issue every day:

So far, I have tried the following:

• Running SFC scan on computer (no issues found)
  • Changing the power settings to keep PCI-E and Network adapters to 'Maximum Performance'
  • Updating lots of drivers using the Driver Easy application (GPU, Network, Chipset, Audio etc)
  • Removing Sleep from my power options and preventing my PC from going to sleep
  • Flashed my BIOS to the latest version using ASUS EZ Flash
  • Reinstalled Windows 10 using 'Reset' functionality

I am at my wits end here and I'm starting to go crazy because I can't figure out what started causing these crashes or how to fix it.  I was really hopefuly that a full windows reinstall using the Reset function would help, but it just keeps on happening.  I have even ordered a new PSU to replace my current one thinking that might help resolve the issue as well (my PSU is about 8 years old so figured it might be time anyways)

I've posted the latest logs from the crash this morning here on One Drive:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlTQmWUweLIFkgCYuHruNMLIIufg?e=eRd1IB

PLEASE can someone help me read the logs and understand what is causing the crashes...

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Bbarber4

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

Your minidump file indicates a driver named nvvhci.sys that is associated with your Nvidia graphics card device driver

The first thing to do is totally uninstall the Driver Easy utility from your PC,it is renowned for installing incompatible drivers on your PC. . .

Go to the support page for your PC or graphics card, then form there, download and install the version of driver they recommend

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I double checked that my Nvidia GPU driver is already on the latest version 452.06 that was released on 8/17/20.  I will attempt to reinstall - but I install these using their own GeForce Experience application to keep them up to date over time

There was one other log in the logs location since I reinstalled Windows 10 yesterday.  Does this log indicate the same issue with my Nvidia GPU driver?  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlTQmWUweLIFkgHrFAngBVNRiGOe?e=7vcI0Q

Any other thoughts?  Should I revert back to an older version of Nvidia GPU if I keep getting crashes on the latest 452.06?

Finally, if you dont recommend Driver Easy, do you have any other suggestion for a tool to update drivers over time?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bbarber4

Go to the support page for your PC or Motherboard,then form there, check if there is a BIOS update that needs to be installed, if that does not resolve this, then download and install a slightly older version of that Nvidia graphics card device driver, not the most recent version . . .

With regards to Driver Easy,, you should never use a driver update utility, Windows 10 Updates will generally provide all driver updates, otherwise the hardware support websites are the only other place to get drivers

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A few days ago I already updated my BIOS to the latest version (BIOS 1602 for ASUS Z-390 A) using the EZ Flash function on my BIOS and a USB stick

I have now reverted back to one prior version of the GPU driver (version 451.77) and will monitor to see if the crashes continue to happen

What I've noticed is that the crashes tend to happen VERY OFTEN when using the sleep function of my PC.  It often crashes within a couple of minutes of waking the PC up from sleeping.  I have never had issues in the past with using the Sleep function so I am really puzzled by these recent issues.  To try to fix the issue, I fully disabled the sleep functions on my PC after the Windows reinstall yesterday but still was seeing the issues occurring.  If it happens again, I will try to post more logs and see if you can continue to help

Thanks again for the quick responses, I really appreciate it

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry to keep bothering you, but I just tried to Sleep my computer to test the recent changes and it crashed again.  Here is the latest log from the most recent crash.  Is this pointing to the same Nvidia GPU driver?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlTQmWUweLIFkgI508r0vKu7HNCv?e=NSX37N

Finally... I am trying to figure out if there is some other hardware related issues going on.  I recently bought a APC Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) for my PC and am using that to power my PC.  It has sufficient power to run my entire gaming rig (I bought this one from Amazon).  Have you ever heard of power issues from a UPS causing problems?  Or do you think it could possibly be my PSU as the culprit?  As I said above I have ordered a new PSU (Seasonic GX-750w Gold) to replace my 8 year old one (Corsair HX-750)

I am really scrambling here to figure out this issue... it is driving me crazy.  I would REALLY appreciate any help or ideas from this community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That dump file also lists the Nvidia driver nvvhci.sys as the driver causing your crashes, is it possible a UPS is causing these crashes, yes, definitely, disconnect that Uninterrultable Power Supply form your PC and see if Windows is stable . . .

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tested this the other day before my Windows Reset by unplugging from the UPS and going back to my old power strip and the same crashes occurred.  And I just re-tested this a few minutes ago and the same crash happened again when powered by the power strip (not the UPS).  Here is another crash log - but just going to assume its the same Nvidia driver thats causing all the problems...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlTQmWUweLIFkgNMDHiwwDZc6Cbm?e=Da168g

On another random note, I decided to run the 'Driver Verifier' tool posted in other threads.  I instructed it to run on all installed drivers and then restarted my PC and it got stuck in an endless boot loop and kept crashing each time.  I had to boot into Safe Mode and disable/reset the driver verifier tool to get back into Windows.

At this point, I have just completely disabled all sleep functions on my PC (since they ALWAYS trigger the BSOD crashes).  And I am just going to pray that replacing my Power Supply fixes it... I've got a new Seasonic GX-750w Gold ordered and should be here sometime next week.  I really have no other ideas on how to fix this and am feeling defeated...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That minidump file just indicated RAM corruption again . . .

Do you have an SSD or a standard hard drive?

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an SSD that my OS is installed on and another NVME SSD installed as a separate drive

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bbarber4

I am really sorry, I am at a loss, unless replacing that PSU resolves this, I really do not know what is causing your system crashes . .

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 29, 2022 Views 1,033 Applies to: