Chronic soft freezes in Windows 10

Split from this thread.

I have experienced the "soft freeze" issue about once a day since first installing Windows 10. I have not even installed the Anniversary update yet. Desktop freezes for 10-30 seconds, mouse works, any clicks happen all at once when Windows comes out of the freeze. Hard drive (and I think CPU) spike to 100% during the freeze.

I have long suspected drivers for the Intel chipset and SATA controller. PC is just barely old enough that Windows 10 drivers are not available. I have tried to install the Windows 7 drivers (hoping they would work better), but Windows 10 says it knows better and the Microsoft drivers are the best drivers. Clearly there is a bug somewhere.

I don't believe most of the steps provided are of any use. I have no reason to believe my Windows install is corrupt or my user profile is corrupt. 99% of the time, my PC works flawlessly. About once a day, I get the stupid freeze. To me this is a bug in Windows (OS or included drivers).

Windows 7 or Windows 8 drivers should work (and be allowed to be installed), no?. My PC is fast and I see no reason to throw it out just to get Windows 10 drivers.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am facing the same exact same problem. I can add that clean installing Win10 from scratch, only one SSD attached, did no solve the problem. I, too, think it is a genuine Anniversary Update related bug.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Greg, and what about this chipset update:

I have run the Intel Update Utility and it told me to update the chipset device software. However, it says that my current version of this software is 11.0.0.1157 and the most recent one is 10.1.1.14; I'm not an expert but it clearly sounds to me that what it says as "most recent" seems to be an older version of this software...not sure if I should perform this update.

Should I perform it, even being clear that the one it says as "most recent" seems to be an older version?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having a similar issue with the Intel Update Utility.  It was telling me my chipset device software was at version 14.6.0.1029 and that the most recent version is 10.1.1.14.  I downloaded and installed SetupChipset to install the latest chipset device software and though the installation seemed to go okay, the version number was unchanged.

Poking around a bit it turns out that 14.6.0.1029 is the version number of my Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) driver that appears to be related to some of the freeze issues folks are having.

I upgraded my RST to the latest, 14,8.0.1042, and now when I run the Intel Update Utility it reports that version number as my chipset device software version number.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did this chipset update as requested by the Intel Update Utility but still cannot instal IRST on my notebook; it keep saying that the platform is incompatible. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same with me, but then someone (hvgsel) replied to me that:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/crashes-after-1607-update/8bedfd30-7c0f-4ff3-af79-de2cb6733585

Note that not all downloads for the Rapid Storage Technology driver will work with every chipset.

In general version 11.7.x.x. will work with older chipsets.

Version 12.9.x.x will work up till Series 7 chipsets and the newer ones work with later chipsets.

All drivers work with Windows 10.

So, check what version you have, and try the 12.9.x if you have 7 or less.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey JuhoJ

Followed your tip and succeeded on installing the version 12.9.0.1001, which is the one compatible with my chipset, which is Series 6!

My notebook is as fast as the roadrunner from looney tunes now! No freezings so far! Seems the problem indeed is related to the absence of IRST on the update from Win10 1511 to 1607. 

Still I believe that Microsoft must issue some fix for this, since such program is removed when you upgrade to 1607 and it shouldn't happen...

I'm stressing my computer as max as I can to see if indeed the freezes will not come back!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad you managed to install IRST now.

I moved 4 systems to 1607 now, all with Intel IRST active before the upgrade.

On all the IRST drivers was removed and replaced by StorAhci.sys, which is the Windows standard driver for AHCI controllers.

I always check that first and installed IRST as soon as the system was a bit up and running and never experienced the freezes on all systems.

IRST has has a few advantages over the standard Microsoft one. It is not always faster, but in your case it shure is :-).

The Intel Driver Update Utility is not mature, not showing all necessary and sometimes wrong updates and especially not for the older AHCI controllers. Probably because the drivers are not identified as suitable for Windows 10.

Intel has to do some work on that.

Microsoft has to do a lot work on the StorAhci.sys driver, as that seems to be cause of the hangs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you hvgsel for the able assist here which confirms the role IRST appears to be playing in the freezes reported by some Users.  I'm elevating this now to developers as important information which confirms this.  I know they are feverishly working on a fix to these freeze issues. 

I broke some posts out of the pinned 1607 freeze mega-thread (that is now locked) in order to explore freezes, no-starts and other issues which appear to be caused by Anniversary Update but didn't meet the specific criteria of that thread - which Community management decided was too big to keep sprawling.   With the closer focus we're now helping confirm multiple possible causes which hopefully helps MS engineers working on this. 

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 11 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-21

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For those like me who've never seen or heard of IRST, I found this link on the Intel web site:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005610.html

IRST stands for Intel Rapid Storage Technology.  I have a Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop that's 8 months old and now running the Anniversary Update.  It apparently doesn't have IRST even though Intel says it can improve performance of both single hard drive and RAID systems.  So I'm wondering if any of the retail brand name systems have this feature and if so, when and why.  I'm a geek with decades of computer experience, but I'm seeing a whole lot of buzzwords coming left and right that seem extremely esoteric.  If this is a feature only used in custom built systems, we need to separate those from those us ordinary relatively technical people understand!

Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks.  Great to see teaching and learning while solving problems.

To avoid confusion I didn't get into it much deeper than to probe with a few questions to see if it uses the hidden 32gb SSD caching chip which came up some in Windows 7 reinstalls and uses IRST hybrid RAID to house the paging and boot files to supposedly speed up older mechanical hard drives.  The only speed users actually reported was when they daringly reinstalled Windows to the 32gb chip with everything else on the hard drive, thus breaking the RAID - but to me entirely experimental due to size. 

Probably more than anyone wants to know.....other than "hybrid RAID."

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 11 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-21

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 4, 2021 Views 1,576 Applies to: