bloated windows folder and slow win10 pc

running windows 10 with a 23.3GB windows folder on a pc that is so slow

previous answers on this site have suggested running PatchRegCleanup-x64 which when I do, results in the error message "A productcode must be specified"

I have run "sfc /scannow" and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" as an administrator as recommended on this community forum as a way of getting PatchRegCleanup to work. Neither found any problems however PatchRegCleanup still returns the productcode error message.

How do I 

a. speed up my pc

b. reduce the windows folder size

thanks

Hey KevleRev,

I'm an Independent Advisor here to help.

In general, if you want to speed up your PC, it's not an easy undertaking as most would depict it to be. To get surefire results, you have to change things on the hardware side.

You would have to:

- Upgrade your RAM to a higher amount (4 GB to 8 GB, 8 GB to 16 GB, etc.) to prevent any memory bottlenecks with the rest of hardware. When you run out of RAM, things will lock up.

- Upgrade your CPU (although it is not as feasible since you have to replace the motherboard with that, and with new standards like DDR4 RAM and new CPU socket).

- Swap your hard drive for a solid-state drive. They're getting cheaper and they're quick, however you can also get an SSD as a boot drive and a hard drive as a storage drive. Many use that arrangement and it works fine.

Now if you want to reduce the Windows folder size, you won't see much improvement in performance since almost everything in there is critical, but you could delete content from the Prefetch and Temp folders, see where it goes from there.

Hope this'll help. Feel free to ask me anything.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Good day ! I am an independent adviser here to help you!

1. First do a disk cleanup.

Search for disk cleanup at the search bar > click on it > click "clean up system files" > check mark every single box > Wait (usually a long time) > Pc should run at least maybe a bit faster.

2. What are the specifications of your PC? How old is it? Whats the make and model? If you have a very old Pc, OR a very cheap PC, you are bound to have a slow PC. You need to upgrade your PC as it ages in order for it to not get slow.
Patience is a virtue

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi KevleRev

Actually that is about the average size for the Windows 10 folder after a couple of large updates, Windows 10 takes a lot of hard drive space . . .

What size internal storage do you have on your device, is that a 32Gb SSD or do you have more space than that?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@Zaqckery - thanks, a disc clean-up was the first thing I tried. The pcs are about 18 months old and have a 64GB SSD.

@DaveM121 - The pcs are about 18 months old and have a 64GB SSD. I say 'pcs' as my wife bought identical models at the same time and i don't suffer the same problems she does. We have significantly different Windows folder sizes, 2.92GB v 23.3GB and that's before my wife's pc installs the latest update(s) which will download but not install (i'm guessing its because there is only 3.2GB of free space left).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi KevleRev

Please check your wife's PC again, Windows when initially installed will be 10GB+ it cannot possibly fit into 2.93GB . . .

Windows Explorer is useless when it comes to working out where your hard drive space is being used . . .

Click the link below to download a small free utility called Treesize. Using that tool, you will instantly see where this space is being used

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Once you have worked out where this space is being used, please let me know so I can advise on what is safe to remove or indeed what the problem may be . . .

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

SSD is a very good upgrade but if you have 4gb of ram you need to upgrade the ram first because it may be older than the HDD and Slow as heck and after that SSD

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 16, 2024 Views 1,480 Applies to: