After recent update DCOM Server Proccess Launcher using 25-30% CPU and Nothing will open.

As the title says, after the update on 3/14/2017 my computer stopped working. It won't connect to the internet, it takes longer to start up, and when it finally does nothing opens. Chrome opens to a white screen that I can't interact with, I can't open most programs, and Ctrl + Alt + Del just grays out the screen until I press Esc. Nothing works, and the only thing I have to go off of is that for some reason Service Host: DCOM Server Process Launcher uses 25-30% of the cpu while the issue occurs. In Safe mode it doesn't use any cpu, so I feel it must be a Microsoft issue.

Windows had to update so I clicked "update and shut down", and my computer stayed on for quite a while then shut off. Now it is broken. I think the update was KB4013418, and I can't uninstall it as that is not allowed. I have used System File Checker from safe mode and it didn't find anything. Neither did Malwarebytes. My computer is missing the System Restore setting option when I look for the tab so I can't use that.

I have seen looked at a lot of different threads on how to fix this, but haven't found anything. My computer is Windows 10, please help. Do I have to just wait for Microsoft to release another update that hopefully fixes this? Because that would be awful. 

**Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup / PC).**

Answer
Answer

New windows update broke my PC

Hey everyone, so I figured the fix. Our accounts get corrupted for whatever reason after update. For some of us not all are experiencing this.

https://operating-systems.wonderhowto.com/how-to/create-admin-user-account-using-cmd-prompt-windows-0125689/ Go here so you can create an account & add admin power to it.

Restart PC login to new account. Everything should be working fine.

If not go back to RUN (Windows key+R), and type MSCONFIG. Check selective start up. And only leave the last box unchecked. Go to BOOT an select Safeboot, Network. Apply and Ok & Restart

(IN SAFE MODE) Repeat the process of creating a new account in command prompt.

(IN SAFE MODE) Undo the Safe Boot option in MSCONFIG and put General back to its original setting.

Login to the new user, it will work this time. Go open your Windows Explorer, and open your old corrupt user account. Copy all contents from the old User to your new one, (May take awhile as it will copy all of your photos videos documents account settings. Some applications may need to be reinstalled or updated but it should be fine all my games ran perfect.)

There you go, make sure under update you install the one last latest update and you should be good to go.

Upvote this and lmk if this works for you!

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2023 Views 6,833 Applies to: