4k laptop lag in Windows 10 UI animations

Hello all,

I recently bought the Dell XPS9370 with 4K touchscreen ,i5 and intel UHD 620 graphics.

I noticed that windows 10 UI animations are laggy and not smooth when using 4k resolution.

really it seems that the overall performance in 4k is not so good.

all drivers are updated and windows is update with no all updated in "windows update".

when I switched to FHD resolution 1920*1080, all UI animation ran silky smooth.

please help to fix the issue because decreasing the resolution is not a proper fix.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

This kind of display issue happens when you use a high-DPI (dots per inch) device such as the Dell XPS 13 9370. Desktop elements such as apps, icons, toolbars, or the taskbar might appear fuzzy. Blurry texts might also happen in the Windows interface. To help you resolve the issue, we recommend performing the troubleshooting steps outlined in this support article. The page has steps on how to check for software updates and match screen resolutions. You can also check the section: Workaround for methods on how to adjust the display settings of your Dell laptop.

If the performance issue continues even after completing all of the troubleshooting steps present in the article, we suggest performing a clean boot. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. We'll need to perform this operation to find out if the issue is due to an installed program. You can find the steps on how to perform a clean boot in Windows 10 from this page.

NOTE: Please go to the section: Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the PC in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

This kind of display issue happens when you use a high-DPI (dots per inch) device such as the Dell XPS 13 9370. Desktop elements such as apps, icons, toolbars, or the taskbar might appear fuzzy. Blurry texts might also happen in the Windows interface. To help you resolve the issue, we recommend performing the troubleshooting steps outlined in this support article. The page has steps on how to check for software updates and match screen resolutions. You can also check the section: Workaround for methods on how to adjust the display settings of your Dell laptop.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you for trying to assist. These symptoms you mentioned , I do not experience. Windows perfectly scale things up, text is crystal clear and all the desktop elements does not appear fuzzy. The problem is with the animations. Minimize\Maximize,Task view(Win+tab) and more animations run at low fps with 4k resolution while they run perfectly smooth at high fps when using 2k or FHD resolution. I even tried a clean setup of Windows with no avail.

All the steps and workaround in the article you provided me does not suit my issue but I tried them with no avail.

Please assist.

6 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for clarifying the situation. If the lag issue is isolated with the animations, there's a chance that it is due to a misconfiguration of the refresh rate. We recommend checking the display settings of your system to confirm if it's configured correctly.

1. Click the Start  button.
  2. Go to Settings  > System > Display.
  3. Scroll down. 
  4. Click Display adapter properties.
  5. Go to Monitor tab.
  6. Under Monitor Settings, set the Screen refresh rate to 60 Hertz.
  7. Click Apply then OK to complete.

If the issue continues even after configuring the refresh rate settings of your system, we suggest downloading the latest display adapter driver for your laptop from Dell's support page. This is to ensure that you have the correct driver version for your device.

We're looking forward to your response.

15 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi , thanks for the reply.

my refresh rate already set to 60Hz and i have the latest drivers according to Dell's website.

so this didn't work either :\

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the prompt response. If the issue continues even with the correct display configuration, we suggest making adjustments to your PC performance by performing the steps outlined in this support article. The link has tips on how to improve PC performance in Windows 10.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

did you get ahead of the problem? I feel like the UHD 620 graphic card is not suitable to drive so many pixels. I have switches my 9370 (i7) to FHD resolution and willing to sacrifice sharpness and keep smooth UI experience. 

If you find anything aside feom that let me know. 

-Adam

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Adam, didnt find any other solution.  I actually use 2k resolution which is also performing great. It is defenitely the grpahics driver, hardware or software issue, or windows(because i know of others laptops with this issue).

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Try 2.5K (2560x1440) and let me know how it performs on your panel. 

-Adam 

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Try 2.5K (2560x1440) and let me know how it performs on your panel. 

-Adam 

actually that's the resolution i'm using, I mistakenly called it 2K.

this is still an unacceptable solution :\

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for getting back to us. If the issue continues even after installing the latest updates for Windows 10, we advise manually updating your display adapter driver. You may need to visit the device manufacturer to find the latest driver for your device. You can refer to Andre Da Costa's article on how to manually update drivers in Windows 10. Installing the device driver from the manufacturer's support page ensures that you have the intended driver for your laptop. Should the issue continue, we advise getting in touch with Dell's support team for further assistance.

Feel free to post back if you have questions about other Microsoft products.

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 19, 2021 Views 19,111 Applies to: