100% Disk Usage after Creator's Update

I've been trying to avoid the Fall Creators update for a while now because it was causing me problems, but I accidentally re-updated it again after a long period, and now I'm facing issues again. My desktop computer is freezing up and becoming unresponsive, which requires a hard reset to fix. After some looking around, I found that my Disk Usage is at 100%, and I believe that may be the cause of the problems.

I've done a clean boot, updated my drivers, and have disabled start-up apps. I've run a disk clean and a repair on the disk. I'm still suffering from the 100% disk usage after trying all these, and I'm quite frankly stuck. My PC has been pretty much unusable since and I'm at a loss as to what to do next. If anyone could help out, that would be fantastic.

Thank you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

A recent change in the configuration of your device can be one of the factors why this issue occurs. After installing the Fall Creators Update you may encounter issues with 100% high disk usage. To troubleshoot your concern, we recommend that you disable some services in Windows 10 to isolate this problem. The following services are Superfetch, HomeGroup Listener, HomeGroup Provider, and Windows Search.

The Superfetch helps to pre-load the programs you often use into the memory. But if you don't use any of the programs after turning on the PC, it will still take up a high percentage of the disk. Also, the HomeGroup services can result in the high workload of the disk and the CPU and slow down the system running.

To disable the services in Windows 10. Here’s how:

1. Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open the run dialog box.
  2. Type services.msc and press Enter.
  3. Locate Superfetch.
  4. Double-click Superfetch.
  5. Select Automatic (Delay Start) from the drop-down menu of Startup type.

6. Double-click the HomeGroup Listener, the HomeGroup Provider and the Windows Search.
  7. Select Disabled form the drop-down menu of Startup type.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Sher, thanks for getting back to me.

I just applied those changes and did a reset on my desktop just for good measure. I still have 100% disk usage.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

See if this fix helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-100-percent-disk-usage-problem

Hope this helps, Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP, since 2016 · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kapil, thanks for the link.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for me either. I already investigated that, and I don't have an AHCI controller. I've just got a "AMD Sata Controller." I went through the steps just before I saw your response after doing some more investigating anyway, and the value for the MSI was already at 0 for that device.

Thank you anyway.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We just want to make a follow-up. Was your issue already resolved? Let us know if you're still experiencing this issue so we can recommend other troubleshooting steps that you can perform.

We look forward to your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sher,

My issue has not been resolved, and in fact has reverted back to the start of my problem. My computer has been experience blue-screen errors over the past few days, with continued 100% disk usage. Overnight my computer reinstalled the Fall Creators update, and now my system is back to freezing periodically.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sher,

My issue has not been resolved, and in fact has reverted back to the start of my problem. My computer has been experience blue-screen errors over the past few days, with continued 100% disk usage. Overnight my computer reinstalled the Fall Creators update, and now my system is back to freezing periodically.

Hi,

We have received reports from some users that they were encountering a performance issue after installing Windows 10 Fall Creators Update due to fast startup (enabled by default). We may try disabling the fast startup, then check if the issue will still persist. To do so, please follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + X, then select Power Options.
  2. Under Related settings (right-side of the window), click Additional power settings.
  3. In the left pane, select Choose what the power buttons do.
  4. Under Shutdown settings, uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended).
  5. Click Save changes.

Please post back with the result for further assistance. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar issues here which was resolved with a different hard drive. AMD chipset as well.

Nothing else made any difference. Registry edit didn't apply in my case. Fast startup made no difference. (stopping/disabling) Services made no difference.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/100-disk-usage-after-creators-update-completely/559cda70-7ee9-4ad3-bb38-18a2fcd441ac?tm=1518024180664

Something about the SSD (and/or its controller) and chipset did not get along. Regular hard drive worked fine (though slower than an SSD). Different SSD worked fine.

I am hopeful someone at Microsoft sees this and can resolve for the next round of updates. No issues with previous version of Windows 10 (1607).

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue with an HP laptop and tried all of the methods above.  I stumbled upon a suggestion to go into Control Panel > System & Security > Security & Maintenance > and under the Maintenance drop down there is a sub-category for "Automatic Maintenance", with a "Start Maintenance" Setting.  I started the maintenance and waited.  The process took about 10 minutes before the 100% Disk started to ease off.  During the process, the disk had the occasional spike back to 100%, but it was just a spike.  For the most part the disk ran around 10%. I had actually searched for tiworker.exe causing the issue.  The Start Maintenance worked for the 100% disk issue for me. To give credit where credit is due, reference link is here: https://appuals.com/best-fix-high-cpu-usage-tiworker-exe/Hope this helps.

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem

Hello Linuix

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 11, 2023 Views 28,517 Applies to: