WMI Provider Host high CPU usage

I've been trying to speed of my laptop and one of the processes using the most memory is WMI Provider Host hovering near 20% usage.

I've read through other pages on this topic and attempted the following:

Even Viewer> Applications and Service Logs> Microsoft> Windows> WMI-Activity> Operational

From there

Find Error> Find ClientProcess ID = > Task Manager> Processes> Find matching PID> Disabling/uninstalling process

The problem is there is no process with a PID that matches my ClientProcess ID and I'm left with WMI Provider Host running high and no solution at my immediate disposal.

My laptop, when brand new last November, has been constantly running slow. I've uninstalled all unnecessary programs, and all start-up programs I don't use. I've systematically changed the settings on every piece of software I do use until the process speed was a low as I could make them, and now I've hit a new wall, being WMI Provider Host.

I also run Norton Security and I've heard mixed reviews on it affecting processing speed, but it rarely even hits 2% CPU usage so I don't believe this has any relevance to my processing speed.

Virus and malware scans show no errors, and all my drivers up up to date.

Hi,

If this has been the case when you first got your laptop, it may be a hardware limitation. Can you tell us the specification of your device it terms of its memory? For initial troubleshooting, follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + S and type Services.
  2. Restart Windows Management Instrumentation service.

If it will not make a difference, type msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic in the Run box instead then press Enter. It will launch the System Maintenance Troubleshooter. Check if it can help us diagnose the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 20, 2020 Views 7,195 Applies to: