Windows memory diagnostic tool not Working in Windows 10

Original title: Windows Memory Diagnostic Not Working - Windows 10

When I attempt to run Windows Memory Diagnostic, by either selecting "restart now and check for problems" or "check for problems next time I start my computer", once the computer turns off and comes back on, I have a black screen (or it may be blue, I cannot tell for sure), and Windows Memory Diagnostic does not seem to be running. I waited for hours, and the screen remained black. The result is the same whether I try this with "restart now"or "check for problems next time I start my computer". Also, I have loaded the System repair disc, and attempted to run Windows Memory Diagnostic from there (it gives the same two choices as above), and the result was the same. My understanding is that after selecting one of the options above, after the machine turns off and then comes back on, the screen should be blue, and messages should appear on the screen, indicating that the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool is running, and also the progress; and also it should offer some advanced options for running the tool; and then results after the tool is run. I don't see any of this. Just a blank screen.

Bar9

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2019 Views 17,288 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

We recommend that you let the Memory Diagnostics Tool run automatically. However, advanced users might want to adjust the tool's settings. Here's how:

1. When the Memory Diagnostics Tool starts, press F1.
  2. You can adjust the following settings:
    • Test mix. Choose what type of test you want to run: Basic, Standard, or Extended. The choices are described in the tool.
    • Cache. Choose the cache setting you want for each test: Default, On, or Off.
    • Pass count. Type the number of times you want to repeat the test.
  3. Press F10 to start the test.

If the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool doesn't run automatically, you can run it manually.

1. Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by going to Control Panel. In the search box, type Memory, and then click Diagnose your computer's memory problems. 
  2. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Choose when to run the tool.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, Jenith. The problem is that: when I attempt to run Memory Diagnostics Tool manually per your instructions:

1. Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by going to Control Panel. In the search box, type Memory, and then click Diagnose your computer's memory problems. 
  2. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

When I choose when to run the tool (i.e., for instance, chosing 'restart now and check for problems'), and then shut the computer down, when it comes back up, I get a black screen (as I described in original post), and it appears that Memory Diagnostics Tool does not run at all. I wait and wait for minutes ... hours, and screen remains black, with Memory Diagnostics Tool not appearing to be running. I then turn the computer off, and then back on and it boots up normally to Windows 10 without running the Memory Diagnostics Tool. Whatever my approach, it seems that Memory Diagnostics Tool will not run.

The Memory Diagnostics Tool has not otherwise run automatically on its own.

Bar9

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We are glad to help you.

I suggest you to run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. It will resolve the common system problems and check if it helps.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes on search box and click on Troubleshooting.
3. Then click on View All on the left panel of the screen.
4. Click on System Maintenance.
5. Click on Next and follow the instructions.

If the issues still persist, refer to the below method:

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Follow the link to place your computer in Clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Hope this information helps!

Regards,

Jenith

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

We recommend that you let the Memory Diagnostics Tool run automatically. However, advanced users might want to adjust the tool's settings. Here's how:

1. When the Memory Diagnostics Tool starts, press F1.
  2. You can adjust the following settings:
    • Test mix. Choose what type of test you want to run: Basic, Standard, or Extended. The choices are described in the tool.
    • Cache. Choose the cache setting you want for each test: Default, On, or Off.
    • Pass count. Type the number of times you want to repeat the test.
  3. Press F10 to start the test.

If the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool doesn't run automatically, you can run it manually.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

This is a totally useless reply from someone who did not read the original complaint.

34 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a related issue- running Windows 10 on 2015 MacBook Pro with 16g ram and Bootcamp.  Started memory diagnostics 7 hours ago (was offered no options before it started; F1 = Options is on the screen but F1 is not responsive) and screen has read 11% done pass 1 of 2 for the last 6:45.  Is it possible it is still running, or is it hung?  If hung, how do I exit without it restarting automatically when I next power up?   This is my second try; first time I exited by powering off when esc was not responsive and it restarted when I next powered up. 

Any my help appreciated. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I understand that you are facing issues when you are trying to reset the computer. I will certainly assist you.

This issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

I suggest you re-built the boot record by following the below commands and check if it helps.

You will have to use Windows 10 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

1. Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10 installation media.
  2. Click on Repair your computer.
  3. Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
  4. Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.
    • bootrec /fixmbr
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bootrec /scanos
    • bootrec /rebuildbcd 

5.  Restart the computer.   

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.  

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank You
Anup karkal

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply.  Booting from DVD allowed me to delete the memory diagnostics from startup, so I am now able to boot all the way to the OS. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Glad to know the issue is resolved.

In case you face any other issues with Windows in future, feel free to contact us we will be happy to assist you.

Thank You
Anup karkal

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Glad to know the issue is resolved.

In case you face any other issues with Windows in future, feel free to contact us we will be happy to assist you.

How can i solve

Sorry this didn't help.

I hate it when I see replies like this to someone's problems

1) he tells you the memory diagnostic tool does NOT work, doesn't run, just goes to a black screen forever

yes the reply starts with: "...when the tool starts, press F1..."

it doesn't start and mine doesn't either...can someone please advise how to solve this problem besides JJames since he can't read

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.