Windows mail won't accept correct password

I had been using the Windows Mail app in Windows 10 for around a month, without issue, when abruptly it began to tell me my account settings were out of date. I was given an option to fix or dismiss said problem. When I opted to fix it, I was told to enter the correct password for the accounts (cantab.net and icloud.com) which had both previously been functional. I made no changes to the accounts themselves or the settings of Windows Mail, and am able to access both accounts via a browser without issue.

When I reenter the correct password for either account, I'm given the same error message a number of times before being shown the 'current password' and asked to update it. The 'current password' is shown as 16 asterisks. I have never entered a 16 digit password - mine is 9 characters. I have not changed the password requirement for either account, yet Windows Mail will not accept the correct password and always eventually returns to showing me the 'current password' at 16 characters.

Please help - it's incredibly annoying.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

Please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps.

Method 1

Determine the version of the Mail app installed from Mail -> Settings - > About. Check the App store for updates, in the case that you don’t receive app updates via Windows Update. Please follow the below steps.

1. Open the Store app.
2. Click on the user icon, and click/tap on Downloads and updates.

3. Click on Check for updates.
4. If you have updates available for apps, then you can click on Update all, or click/tap on the download and install (down arrow) button to update individual apps.

Method 2

Follow these steps to run the Windows in built troubleshooter:

a)      Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.

b)      Click on Troubleshooting tab.

c)      Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

d)      Select the Windows Store apps option from the list.

e)      Click Next to run the Troubleshooter.

Also, deploy the Microsoft Account troubleshooter from the below which automatically resolves sync issues.

Ref: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/sign-up-create-account-cant-450-LEFKPM

Method 3

Check if the Date, time and Time zone is set correct. Follow the steps to set the date and time:

a. Type “Date and Time” in the search bar.
b. Click Change date and time button.
c. Click Apply and Ok to save the date and time.
    Note: Click on the Time Zone tab to check the Time Zone.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further assistance, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

None of these steps resolves the problem. With the time and date set correctly, troubleshooting unable to find a problem and the latest version of Mail and Calendar installed, I am still told my "account settings are out of date" and constantly asked for my password, which is never accepted.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

Can you confirm to us if removing the email account from the Mail App and again adding it back helps to resolve the issue?

Refer to the below Microsoft help Links.

Write to us with the results..

Thank you.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same issue. Account has been added and deleted 4 times so far, everything is updated, date and time is correct and troubleshooter can't find/fix any issue. Any ideas?

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Dan,

We regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you further.

Before we proceed any further, does the below recommendation help?

• In case you get this pop up notification, you will be able to see it in the Action Center.
  • Clicking on either of these, i.e the pop up notification or the link in the Action Center will open the Mail app, where you will see a message. You will see two options – Fix account or Dismiss.
  • Click on Fix account to let Windows 10 automatically fix the problem.

Also, verify that you have disabled any other third party real-time antimalware products that were installed on your PC, to check if any how incoming/outgoing connections to the PC are affected by the firewall.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done.

Next, do you recall about changing any of your Microsoft Account settings online?

Maybe you changed your password. If so, your Mail app may want to sync its settings with Outlook. You should make sure that your latest password is the same on the web, in the Mail app and Outlook if you use it.

Write to us with the updated status related to Mail App in Windows, for us to be bale to assist you further.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here we are in 2017. I have updated the win mail 10 in my wife's NEW laptop but still I am getting the same problem with the password on her BT mail account changed to 16 dots. I tried turning off Kapersky but the same issue recurred! What now?

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As described here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7511788?start=0

Try logging into your apple id settings through apple.com and generating an app-specific password for Windows (calendar / mail / contacts) to use with your iCloud account.

Are you using two-factor authentication for your iCloud account? if so, the only solution I could find that worked was to generate an App-specific password through the AppleID website (https://appleid.apple.com) and use it as the password for my Windows Mail/Calendar iCloud account.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

incredibly infuriated a microsoft employee cannot resolve the issue.

-Microsoft customer

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Totally agree.  My icloud account worked fine, then without changing anything windows now says my account is out of date and when I use 'fix it' to correct the password it changes the password to some 16 character something which you can't see.  I've deleted the account, I've updated the app, all those things mentioned above.  Windows is doing something with my password by changing it or adding characters, not Apple, and MS doesn't have a clue.

Even if you hit 'save' and the window closes, mmediately open up the settings again, the password has been changed.

Ha, just got another message from windows mail while typing this that my icloud account is out of date.  How ironic .... and totally frustrating!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly. I have contacted customer service in two separate instances both with different trouble shooting techniques and the same end result witch is no solution. I have lost all faith in microsoft and am confident they have no clue what is going on.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 26, 2021 Views 18,616 Applies to: