Windows 10 Low on Memory Warning since Creators update

I've recently updated to Windows 10 Creators. 

The first thing that stopped working was Chrome. I used another browser rather than spend ages trying to figure out why.

The next thing that started happening was a Windows message saying; "Your computer is low on memory, please close .. program" This is happening even if I have a few programs running and the task manager is displaying low CPU, Memory and Disk usage.

Laptop specs are:

i5 460M

8GM RAM

Nvidia GT420M (1GB)

All drivers are up to date, windows defender is on it's defaults settings, I have avast antivirus which doesn't show any problems and malwarebytes that shows my laptop is clean.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to start trying to play with settings, bios, registry etc.. 

Also, it seems like this is becoming a common problem.

If anyone has identified the problem, then please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi Rob,

The following are the reasons that cause this error:

• Device infected with a virus.
  • The allocated virtual memory needs increase.
  • Programs opened in the background are consuming too much memory.

Let's start troubleshooting your concern by following these methods to correct each case:

Method 1: Run a full scan on your device by running your antivirus.

Method 2: Open your Task Manager by right-clicking your taskbar and select Task Manager.  Click the Details tab to see all running programs, then click Memory (private working set) to sort by memory usage. Right-click a program, then select End process that uses too much memory.

Method 3: Check your system using Windows Troubleshooter. Type in Troubleshooting in Cortana search and press Enter. Click View All and select System Maintenance in the list. Run the troubleshooter.

Method 4: Manually change or increase your Virtual Memory. Right-click the Start menu and select System. Select Advanced system settings, then click the Advanced tab and then Settings under Performance pane. Again, click the Advanced tab and click Virtual Memory then select Change. Uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives. Click on Drive (Volume Label) and choose Custom Size. Add your Initial size (MB) and Maximum size (MB). Once you're done, press Set.

Let us know how it goes after performing the troubleshooting steps above.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Erika

I'm afraid that the standard pre-formatted answer you have offered to that question does not explain the reasons for the continuous "Low On Memory" error that people all over the world seem to be receiving since Windows 10 Creators updated itself.

In my own instance, programs such as Chrome, Microsoft Word or PaintShop Pro have all been crashing on me and our family and returning the low on memory error since the Windows 10 Creators update and I never had a problem before it.

My 13 year old son wrote down the times of occurrence last evening and had 6 crashes within a 30 minute period!

My computer has 2.5 GB free Ram, plenty of hard drive space and the virtual memory in paging file is set at 1024MB. 

If you can, could you please tell us what it really is that Windows 10 Creators does, that uses up so much memory and leads to the occurrence of the Low On Memory error?

regards

Zack

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Erika,

Thanks for your response.

I've followed the steps in accordance with your post and the problem is still occurring.

As mentioned in my original and in Zacks posts, this error along with others, has only started happening after the Windows Creator update.

Any further information and advice would be appreciated but please don't dismiss the link between Windows Creator and these problems occurring. 

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We'll keep that in mind, thank you for the information. To continue with the troubleshooting, run the Run maintenance tasks troubleshooter to check what causes this performance. To run this, type Troubleshooting in Cortana search and press Enter. Under System and Security, click Run maintenance tasks and Fix problems with Windows Update.

In addition to this, run the Disk Cleanup to clean your temporary files. Type Disk Cleanup in Cortana search and press Enter. Check the box for Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files, then click OK.

Let us know how it went.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

virtual memory in paging file is set at 1024MB. 

Is that a maximum?  Why so low?  That's probably the cause of your symptom.  If you let Windows manage it how much does it suggest?  Otherwise just don't try to run so many apps at the same time.  Close ones when you leave them.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We'll keep that in mind, thank you for the information. <snip>

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

The "low on memory" problem still occurs and also, Google Chrome browser still hangs then crashes to desktop. Again, I want to reiterate that these problems were triggered by the Creators update. 

Can you let me know what the process is for escalating this issue within the Microsoft corporation so I can track the issue. i.e. which department you'll give this information to along with contact details in order to be able to follow this up.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your attempt at a solution -

To run this, type Troubleshooting in Cortana search and press Enter. Under System and Security, click Run maintenance tasks and Fix problems with Windows Update.

Is invalid! Following your instructions does NOT open anything that says System and Security. It strikes me that Microsoft are dodging the issue here. Everyone is getting the error since the Windows Creator update. I'm getting crashes left, right and center. Please do NOT respond to our issues with details from an idiot script! TEST your solutions, BEFORE telling us to try them.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally solved this myself by installing the Windows Update Troubleshooter from Microsoft, right-click the title below:-

Fix Windows Update errors

I re-installed the Windows Creator update. 

I did have to re-install my Synaptics Touchpad software and my Seagate Dashboard Client as well.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello all. Were suffering from that problem also. Found one good solution that helped me(God bless the guy who wrote it).So to find what is consuming your commited memmory open the task manager, go to tab  details,on the top(where is name,PID,, Status etc)
right click, then select columns, then find in the list "Handles" and also "Threads"(I looked only Handles, but the guy told to open both). So now sort the Handles and look where the number is increasing(it can jump a bit up and down, but should not increase).
I found that my WLAN card was eating my commited memmory( the second big update after Creator update did not fix anything in that). So I just reinstalled the driver again and whatched on my fixed commited memmory. Good luck!

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue. I'm not buying another laptop with windows on it ever again. 

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 1, 2022 Views 24,573 Applies to: