Windows 10 involuntary restarting without warning

My build 15063.483 Windows10 "Creators" version still has my computer restarting without warning. Seems to occur every few hours these days. It's abrupt, without warning, cannot be stopped, and any new editing underway (if not already saved) does not survive.

(When I first posted this, "build 15063.483" above had been "build 15063.413"; how and when it changed I don't know, but I've verified my present version just now and pasted in the correction.)

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.*** I point out that the better version has evolved to here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/3c616d9b-0aa3-4fbe-88f1-39ca659c4d45

Hello,

If Windows 10 suddenly restarts without a warning, or restarts when you try to shut it down, this intermittent restart issue could be due to several factors. Windows could be set to restart automatically when certain system errors occur.

We'd like to get more information regarding this so we could further check and provide a more established workaround.

If you've tried to troubleshoot issues prior to posting your concern here in the Community, please provide exact steps performed so we could further advise workaround.

Furthermore, we recommend isolating the issue if it has something to do third-party software installed in your PC. Boot to safe mode, then check if the issue persists.

If you don't experience said issue in safe mode, then it is possible that the error is caused by an application.

If issue persist even after booting to safe mode, follow this path for workaround, then check:

Go to Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery > Settings

Uncheck the Automatically restart box. Click Apply/OK, then Exit.

We hope to get an update on this matter.

Regards.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm trying your advice 

"If issue persist even after booting to safe mode, follow this path for workaround, then check: 
Go to Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab >Startup and Recovery > Settings" but no such sequence opens. Instead, it looks like the cropped screenshot below.
I have selected "System" and gotten the rest of the way through the advocated procedure (glad to find that it was indeed checked and could be unchecked!)  I will report back the very next time my computer persists restarting involuntarily, and later if it seems to discontinue this behavior.

Thanks

Okay, with this edit, I'm back to say that my involuntary restart has been recurring even after I unchecked the box. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you confirm if the issue still persists when in Safe mode? Knowing this information will help us in identifying if the issue has something to do with your startup applications. In case you've missed the article, here's the link.

We'll be waiting for your updates.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 22,023 Applies to: