WIn 10 Video TDR Failure (nvlddmkm.sys after Sleep Mode

Hello.

I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 Pro.  Since then I've been getting the Video TDR Failure (nvlddmkm.sys) error when I exit Sleep Mode.  Prior to upgrading to Win 10 I never saw this error.  Within the last 24 hours it is happening more frequently than before.

I only get the BSOD and error message when I wake up the PC from Sleep mode.  While I am using the computer everything works fine.  Most of the time I just browse on the Internet, use Outlook, PowerPoint and a writing program called Scrivener.  I occasionally use Skype.  I don't do a lot of work with videos or what I consider to be graphics-intensive things.  I normally do not leave a lot of programs up when I am done working on the PC, usually just Skype and Scrivener, so I don't know what would be causing the driver to stop functioning.

I ran msinfo32 to get the following information on my PC.  I hope this is enough.

-------------------------

System Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

8 GB Ram
Processor:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. F9, 9/19/2012

Card:  NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Adapter RAM    512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)

Installed Drivers    nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver  c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (9.18.13.4195, 12.33 MB (12,928,568 bytes), 3/28/2016 10:25 PM)

--------------------

I've read multiple posts on this failure.  I deleted and reloaded the driver through the Device Manager, and it says I now have the most current one.  The driver disk that came with my video card is from ZOTAC, so I went to their website to see if I could find a driver but I couldn't find my card listed.  I image that is because it is an older graphics card.

I followed a tutorial that showed me how to use the REGEDIT tool to create a new directory and an entry to turn off that 'Lock Screen' picture in case that was somehow causing the problem, but that doesn't seem to have any affect.

I did a search for 'NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT drivers' and found this on the NVIDIA website.  According to the long list of supported products, my card falls under the Geforce 9 series.  However, O/S listed does not include Win 10.

Version 334.89 - WHQL
Release Date Tue Feb 18, 2014
Operating System Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Windows Vista 64-bit
Language English (US)
File Size 221.86 MB

I read about trying to install the driver in a compatibility mode (I assume with Win 7 Pro, since that is what I had before).  I don't want to try that until I hear from MS Support.

This is everything I can think of to help you.  If there is more information you need, pls let me know and I will add it to this post.

I don't know if this is related or not, but in the 'Problem Devices' part of the msinfo32 I saw this:

PCI Input Device    PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_7003&SUBSYS_00401102&REV_04\5&4C78080&0&0100E3    The drivers for this device are not installed.

Thank you for your assistance!  I really appreciate it.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Colorado,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

It appears that you are getting an error Video TDR failure on the computer. This happens most often when playing graphic intensive games or when playing high quality videos. It can also happen with any process that uses a large amount of graphic resources, such as when editing or creating videos. TDR is the Timeout, Detection, and Recovery component in windows. When the graphics device gets too low on resources and stops responding, windows will attempt to recover by restarting the graphics device.

Method 1: I appreciate the troubleshooting steps that you have tried. I would suggest you to install the latest graphics driver from the manufacturer website and check it helps.

Method 2: Perform Automatic Repair once again using Windows 10 installation media. Drivers, conflicts with other programs, malware, and memory can all cause startup problems. Automatic repair can detect and fix problems that prevent your PC from starting.

If you don’t have an installation media. I request you to download and create an installation media of Windows 10 from the below link.

Download Windows 10

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Refer to the steps below to perform an Automatic Repair:

• Insert the installation USB media and boot Windows Technical Preview from it.
  • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
  • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
  • Select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.
  • You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select advanced options.
  • You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.
  • Follow the instructions.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue.

Regards.

Thank & Regards,

SuJata Moktan.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your information!

Per your advice, I asked ZOTAC (the manufacturer of my NVIDIA card) to help me find the latest drivers.  They directed me to the NVIDIA website and I downloaded the driver file "341.95-desktop-win10-64bit-international".  I ran it and tried to do the standard install, but the install failed.  I ended up turning off my Comodo Firewall (not sure if that had anything to do with the failure) and did a custom install and checked the box to do a 'clean' install, and the install procedure worked.  I will have to wait and see if that will solve the problem.

If it does not, I will re-execute the file in Compatibility mode for Win 7 and see if that solves the problem.  If that doesn't solve it, then I will try the Windows Repair procedure you recommended.  When it seems I have fixed the problem, I will edit my original post so that you and other viewers can see what I did.

Information about this particular error often states that it is usually caused by graphics-intensive processes, such as editing video files.  I don't do what I believe is graphics-intensive stuff, and prior to upgrading to Win 10 from Win 7 I never had this error with my current graphics card.   The only time I see the issue is when I am coming out of 'Sleep' mode, so perhaps the error is being caused by something else.

Again, thanks for your help, and I will advise you if I am able to solve the issue.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Did the issue got resolve? If you need further assistance on Windows let us know we will be glad to help you.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So far everything seems fine.  Of course, with my luck, as soon as I say that I'll get the error again. 

My brother (who is much more savvy about Windows that I am) also recommended that I turn off the 'Sleep' mode and just have the monitor and hard drive power down after 10 minutes or so.  He says he never used the 'Sleep' / 'Hybernate' modes.  Considering that the only time I ever got the error was when I tried to wake the PC out of 'Sleep' mode, there may be something to that.

Thanks for your reply.  If I don't get the error in the next few days I will let you know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Colorado,

Thank you for the response. I appreciate the effort you're putting in to resolve the issue. Do let us know if you get any error in the next few days.

Regards.

Thank & Regards,

SuJata Moktan.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a few minutes ago (around 11:04 AM MST) I woke the PC up from 'Sleep' mode and I got the error again.  It is an intermittent thing, not constant.

I did notice that around 2:33AM an update was installed to the PC.  I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your response and sorry for the delay response.

The issue you are facing it could be a hardware issue or graphics driver issue. I suggest you to go to the below link and click on AUTO DETECT YOUR GPU it will automatically detect updated graphics driver.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Let us know the result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I followed the link and did the 'AUTO DETECT YOUR GPU'.  It detected my card, listed the most current driver for the card and displayed the version I currently have and they are the same, so it appears my NVIDIA drivers are all up to date.

For the time being I have disabled the 'sleep' mode on my PC.   When I am not going to use it for a while, I just shut it down.  I find restarting the PC actually takes a lot less time than recovering from the BSOD error.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Colorado,

Thank you for you response.

I appreciate your time.

I would suggest you to refer this article and check if it helps.
Refer:
Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557263

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems

resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Please keep us updated.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have an NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT drivers.  I have done numbers things to stop the blue screen error to no avail. TDR Failure (nvlddmkm.sys.  This occurs every time I sign on the the PC and only after the Win 10 update.  I do not need to do anything but sign on and it soon goes to a blue screen.  I am not doing anything.  If I do not sign on it can sit with the sign on screen and no problem, but once I sign on and have my desk top I get the blue screen in less than two minutes.  I have had this issue for months and it renders the PC useless so I use my Ipad instead,  but need a solution.  Can I get a remote sign on by MS?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 12, 2024 Views 14,654 Applies to: