Win 10 lock-up problem

I have a Dell XPS 8300 that originally came with Win 7 but MS recommended an upgrade to 10. I did that and now over the last few weeks, my PC locks-up (freezes solid) everyday after initial boot. I have to restart once or twice before the system stabilizes.

I've run sfc /scannow, DISM (all okay) and MalwareBytes which removed a few PUPs. Stated removing some programs running in the background. No change.

Ran Dell diagnostics and no driver updates were recommended. However, I did update my NVIDIA driver a few weeks ago.

Only new software installed over last few weeks was Adobe PS and Premier 14 and the FastPictureViewer codec for file previews. 

Any suspects here or other ideas? Seems strange that the PC freezes after initial start-up but then behaves the rest of the day. That's the pattern.   

Hi Harry,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

In order to troubleshoot the issue, I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if the issue persists.

Method 1: To diagnose whether this issue occurs in “Safe Mode”, let’s reboot the computer in safe mode with networking and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some third party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

1. Unplug external devices connected to the computer expect keyboard and mouse.

2.  From login screen, press Shift key and click on the Power button and click restart to enter Advanced Boot Options.

3. In this page select troubleshoot option.

4. And click on Advance option.

5. Select Startup setting from advance option.

6. Here you will find Restart button, just click on it.

7. In new windows press F5 to login with safe mode with networking.

If the issue does not exist, try to clean boot the system.

Method 2: Perform Clean Boot.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. Check this issue in clean boot state.

1. Press Windows key + X key. And select Run.
  2. Type msconfig in the Run box and hit Enter.
  3. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.
  4. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.
  5. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
  6. Close Task Manager.
  7. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

For more information refer the below link.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your response but still no joy. PC still freezes randomly especially soon after startup in AM and then usually after a hard restart, it behaves the rest of the day. I tried everything you suggested including Safe Mode for a while and the PC did not freeze but I could not get on the internet.

I tried Clean Boot and disabled everything in Startup. Tried sfc /scannow and DISM with no problems found. Ran MalwareBytes and just a few PUPS removed so I don't think it's a virus issue.

Now a new problem happens this AM. Started PC and after getting to the Desktop, I see a blue screen reporting the unexpected_kernal_mode_trap error. After several restarts and a failed MS attempt to diagnose and repair, I finally was able to get WIn10 started and write this report.  

Right now, there are no external devices connected except wireless printer and internet and everything in StartUp is disabled.

My PC is a Dell XPS 8300 bought new in 2012 with Win7. It came with NVIDIA GeForce GT545 driver updated to 11/5/15 version. That is the only driver change I made. Dell won't support PC anymore because it now has Win10. So I upgraded to Win10 based on MS recommendation and assurance that my PC is compatible and Dell won't support it anymore. MS needs to come up with a fix for this.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Please refer to the answer given by Giridhar J dated August 12, 2015 and check if the unexpected_kernal_mode_trap error persists.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/error-in-windows-10-unexpected-kernel-mode-trap/6b371e8d-df12-4064-9b6f-199b8be696e1

Also, you can also refer to the suggestion by Babu V for resolving the Blue screen error on the computer:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-to-troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors-in-windows/58d5eb2f-ca88-4f82-9631-82fefd11d774

Please let us know if the issue got resolved or you need any further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for MS Windows 10 support engineers. After reading so many reports here, it appears that Win10 is a disaster in the making. After my "upgrade" from 7 to 10, I started getting the lock-up issue. I've tried every test and diagnostic I know including an hour long Dell diagnostic run yesterday that found nothing wrong with the machine.

And now I'm getting a series of BSODs. They are the unexpected_kernel_mode_trap a couple of days ago, then yesterday a memory_management BSOD after starting Photoshop and today the bad-pool_caller screen out of nowhere. All of which just lead to endless hours of fishing expeditions. I've tried clean boots and disabled everything in Start Up. I do have a bunch of files in windows/minidump but can't read them.   

I would roll-back Win 10 to 7 if I were not afraid of the consequences that others have reported. If Win10 were a car, it would be eligible for a Lemon Law claim. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All of the Windows 10 issues I've had always happen after initial startup. I've left my PC on now for a couple of days and the system seems stable. So the obvious question is, what is going on with the OS after initial boot-up? Are there some initial actions running that could be causing BSODs and lock-ups? Any ideas?  

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply.

I suggest you to perform a Startup Repair by following the steps below and check if it helps.

1. In the Lock screen, press/hold the shift key and click on power icon>restart.
  2. Click on Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Startup Repair and follow the prompts to start the Startup Repair.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance regarding the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2020 Views 2,480 Applies to: