There was a problem reseting your PC, No changes were made

I am trying to reset my windows 10 PC but it wont work. If i select either delete everything or keep personal files. both ways it loads for a while, restarts. Runs until it gets to a certain point and than says undoing changes, goes to desktop and says " there was a problem resetting your PC, no changes were made."

I've tried using the windows refresh tool and that just downloads windows for like 2 hours and then when its done shows the windows logo in a blue rectangle in the middle of the screen for a long time and then gives an error message saying that it was unable to work restart and try again. when i restarted and used it again it just started downloading windows again.

I have tried so many things and nothing works. I've been up for over 24 hours working this problem to no avail. and Im really surprised i have kept my frustration in for so long.

please help me

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Could you give us a general description of your system configuration..  Such as how did you get Win 10, and much free space do you have on your OS partition, did you ever have prior upgrade problems or which version of Win 10 are you using (type winver in command prompt window).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows 10 was included with this computer when I bought it. I do not know if it matters but it was from Cyberpower PC. my C drive where windows is installed has 120 gigs left on it and i have never had problems upgrading. this PC was originally on windows 8.1. it was updated for free last year. and was updated to the anniversary edition when it was released

Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.447)

you have no idea how thankful I am that you are helping me

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are so many things which might be involved with a Reset failure, hard to even guess.  If you have external devices connected or a new anti-virus, they could be involved.  If you had experienced problems with earlier upgrades it might be a clue.

The link below shows the location of possible log files which could help determine where the reset failed.  Be aware, they may contain personal information, but see if you can find one which contains events dated the day the reset failed. 

Go to the end of the log and start working backward.  Look for some error number or description of what might have gone wrong.  If you feel comfortable making them available to the group, you could put a copy on your OneDrive and give us a link...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928901

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I've never used anything other than Malware Bytes and I've had it since the beginning. External devices, well I dont know if you mean just storage devices or anything that's plugged in so ill just tell you that i have all thumb drives and external drives unplugged, I do have headphones, 2 monitors, keyboard, mouse, and a Xbox 360 controller. you probably don't need to know any of that though... 

Ok after looking through all of these (sorry it took a while,) I have found 2 of these files that are dated today/ the day of the failed reset. In your professional opinion, should I share them here, and if so is there a way to share it with just you. What kind of personal information could be shared?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't really have a "Professional" opinion but such logs can contain references to files, user info to include user name and such or anything.  If you see a setuperr.log it is usually fairly small and does not contain such information, but if may not have much info either.

If you wanted to allow access to the log, you can edit it ahead of time and remove info you may not want seen.

I will give you this link, which seems to be for IT Pros.  It might help get your started if you see some error number in your listings.  Go down to the Log Files section and see if it makes any sense.  These log files are hard to understand if you have no experience with them.

https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/deploy/resolve-windows-10-upgrade-errors?OCID=WIP_r_20_Body_UpgradeTips

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ok well here you go:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap1bYYA2esjohg8OXrYwgp33zghc

I'll give you the files to look at while I read this thing and hope my brain wont explode. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had no luck. have you taken a look yet and do you have an idea?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I saw some Access Denied entries but for now I can see a 0xC1900107 error.  If you look at the link I gave you, close to the bottom it lists that error and explains what to do.

If you get a chance, go to Settings-System.  Select the Storage option and then click on your OS drive.  At the bottom of the list of File Types you will see one named Temporary files.  Click it and check if there is an option for Previous Windows Installations and let us know what you find.

So right now, there may be something which needs to be finished or something is blocking access and not allowing it to be finished.

Make sure you do not have a file called setupact.log in the Windows\Panther directory.  If you have not checked it already, see if it has any recent entries.

I am still checking so I may find something later.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ok so this is it...

0xC1900107:

A cleanup operation from a previous installation attempt is still pending and a system reboot is required in order to continue the upgrade. Reboot the device and run setup again. If restarting device does not resolve the issue, then use the Disk Cleanup utility and cleanup the temporary as well as the System files. For more information, see Disk cleanup in Windows 10.

so ive gone into disc cleanup and what i want to know is, if when this says to do the system files but there are 4 clickable things that have different system file categories, am i supposed to do all of them? i dont want to delete something important...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We need to remember, the error message may be the actual situation or it may not...  I can't say definitely.  Deleting some system files, such as Temporary ones will not hurt anything.

What I see in the log is it trying to remove a path to a folder such as $Windows.~BT or $Windows.~WS.  Those folders should be on the C partition and may be hidden, so you need to select show hidden in explorer.  They are used during installs of upgrades.  If you have them, just let us know but don't do anything with them.

If it shows something like a Windows.old folder it might be related to that, but no proof.  The log does not give me a definite answer to the problem.  For all I know, you may have upgraded to a new build in the last 30 days and that is inhibiting the Reset...

We probably need to slow down and give some other folks a chance to weigh in.  Maybe shut your system all the way down and go have dinner... ;)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 10, 2022 Views 449 Applies to: