Spinning circle blinking next to cursor after Windows 10 1703 update

Hello world,

I wonder if someone could help me with this: I just installed 1703 update to my Windows 10 Home x64 on MSI GE70 2OE laptop. Now there's the blue spinning circle (equivalent to hourglass) blinking next to my cursor all the time. The computer doesn't seem to lag or anything, but the blinking circle is really annoying.

In Task manager I see a process called wsappx appear and disappear in sync with the blinking of the circle.

I'm not sure whether or not this somehow caused the problem, but after the 1703 update, I got a "what's new" info and from there I opened the Microsoft mail app. The problem started when I went to the app's settings --> notifications. That menu did not open, but the blinking started. I closed Mail and tried again, and I got to all menus normally, but the loading circle persists even after reboot. Windows Update says everything is up to date and there are no updates for any Windows Store apps either.

Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated July 19, 2018 Views 11,724 Applies to:

Hello,

Let's isolate the issue further. Please run Windows in safe mode to see if there is a downloaded app that is causing the blinking circle you've mentioned. Follow this article for instructions.

The wsappx process is related to a Windows Store process and there shouldn't be any problems with it. But just to be sure, run the Windows App troubleshooter to resolve the issue. Follow this article to run the troubleshooter.

Let us know how the troubleshooting went.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your response Ian. I ran the troubleshooter and tried starting in safe mode. The troubleshooter gave me a notification: Windows Store cache might be corrupted/faulty - not fixed.

The circle doesn't blink in safe mode. I also can't open any Windows 10 apps then, it says I should use a non-administrator account. How would you suggest I continue?

Sorry this didn't help.

When the issue didn't occur in safe mode, we can say that the issue is possibly caused by one of your driver or hardware. Can you provide us a screenshot of the blinking circle that is happening on your device? This is to know what kind of troubleshooting is applicable for you.

To reset your Windows Store cache, follow these steps:

1. Open Run command by pressing Windows key + R on your keyboard.
  2. On the text box, type WSReset.exe.
  3. Run the troubleshooter again to see if the cache error gets resolved.

Update us of the results.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for a late reply. I did WSReset and ran the troubleshooter again, and it still gives the same notification: "not fixed".

Um, I tried to take a screenshot of my blinking cursor but it seems the cursor is left out of screenshots. But here's a fitting image: https://imgur.com/yQwc9Nq

The blue "working in background" spinning circle blinks next to the mouse pointer regularly 7 times once per second, then one second pause (no circle), then again 7 times blink once per second etc. I also looked at Task manager again and found another process that looks to be in sync with the circle. There is a "Windows host process (Rundll32)" that stays, and another similar one disappearing and reappearing after every 7-blink sequence.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

There are other options that you can do to further troubleshoot the issue with the loading circle next to your mouse cursor. We suggest that you perform a Clean Boot first to check if this problem is caused by background applications. To do this, simply follow the steps on this article.

You can also create a new user account on your PC to see if this issue occurs while on another user profile. To learn more on how to create another local user in Windows 10, click o this link.

If you have additional questions, please let us know.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same exact problem and after a few google searches I figured out it was the LAN adapter here (Method 4)

https://appuals.com/mouse-pointer-lags-or-freezes-in-windows-10/

Ok, so I found the root cause and the articles on the issue and MS Support say that it's an outdated driver. Great, I upgraded the LAN adapter (Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller) and still the problem persist.

The problem is not observed in safe mode nor while on WiFi. However, I prefer to use my LAN (wired) connection because it's much faster than WiFi.

I just (accidentally) upgraded to Windows 10 1703 (a.k.a Creators Update) and this issue started immediately following the update.

A) Can I roll back to my old (non Creators Update) version or

B) is there a fix for this that Windows update is not giving me?

Are there security update to Creators Update or is this a features update? Thanks.

Mr JA is not happy. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same exact problem as this post and it seems unresolved for the wired LAN connection:44

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/spinning-circle-blinking-next-to-cursor-after/525b79c8-b99e-42d5-8057-fa59f94290d3?rtAction=1500257223351

After a few google searches I figured out it was the LAN adapter here (Method 4)

https://appuals.com/mouse-pointer-lags-or-freezes-in-windows-10/

Ok, so I found the root cause and the articles on the issue and MS Support say that it's an outdated driver. Great, I upgraded the LAN adapter (Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller) and still the problem persist.

The problem is not observed in safe mode nor while on WiFi. However, I prefer to use my LAN (wired) connection because it's much faster than WiFi.

I (accidentally) upgraded to Windows 10 1703 (a.k.a Creators Update) and this issue started immediately following the update.

A) Can I roll back to my old (non Creators Update) version or

B) is there a fix for this that Windows update is not giving me?

Are there security update to Creators Update or is this a features update? Thanks.

- Mr JA

***Post merged by the moderator to a similar thread with the same issue.***

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Conflicts with the start-up programs is one of the possible reasons why you are having issues with the mouse cursor on your computer. Have you tried running your computer in clean boot state and see if you will still encounter the same issue?

Let us know so we can further assist you.

Sorry this didn't help.

That you Eric,

I ran a clean boot state/ startup and I did not experience the problem. How do I find which program is conflicting with the mouse?

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

We understand that you want to know which program is causing the problem. You can identify which program is the culprit by enabling the third-party programs one by one after every restart. If the problem occurs again after enabling a certain program, try uninstalling and reinstalling the program, and see if it resolves the issue.

Keep us posted and we'll be willing to assist you further.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.