Sound problem with using Headphones Windows 10

Sound problem with using Headphones  Windows 10

1. The sound plays fine through the speakers.

2. The headphones work if not plugged into the computer.

3. With the headphones plugged into the computer the sound is very soft and garbled to a point of not being able to understand what is said.

4. Selecting “Sound” on the “All Control Panel Items” shows “Realtek High Definition Audio” as the default device.  However it does not show any icon for headphones.

5. Clicking on the “Sounds” tab shows the choices like “New Mail Notification”, “Exclamation”, “Critical Stop”, etc. have the yellow triangle beside them.

6. Adding a sound from the file will play through the speakers but cannot be heard with headphone plugged in.

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

I would suggest you to install available Windows updates including Optional updates and check if that helps you. If the issue still persists, refer to the following suggestion.

This issue may arise due to driver conflicts.

I suggest you to run the Audio Troubleshooter and check if it helps.

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
  2. Select Troubleshooting.
  3. Select View all on the top left corner.
  4. Click Playing audio.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter. 

Method 2:

Uninstall sound adapter driver from the Device Manager, restart the computer and check if that helps you.

1. Press Windows and X keys together.

2. Click on Device Manager.

3. Sound, video and game controller, expand it, right click on the sound device and select Uninstall.

4. Restart the computer after the successful uninstallation of sound Device. 

Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance.

100 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2023 Views 35,865 Applies to: