[SOLVED] Windows 10 PC "generic freeze" and SSD's

Edit: This question originally associated this freeze with windows defender, but this was not correct.

This is a notification of fixing a "generic freeze" issue on my PC that was seemingly caused by a Windows Defender error. The issue was not fixed by turning off WD Live protection and allowing it to automatically turn itself on after restarting.

Since doing a clean install of windows 10 on my laptop, I have had a quite regular system freezes. According to a MS page, it is a "generic freeze". Before the clean install, I had updated from windows 8.1 and didn't have this issue at all.

When the freeze occurs, my laptop disk light stays on, task manager cannot be opened and all windows cannot be manipulated. the mouse cursor still moves, unless I try to click a lot of things. When the freeze ends, the system catches up with all the tasks it has not completed and returns to normal. This freeze happens once or twice every hour and lasts about 20 to 30 seconds.

Opening or closing different apps will cause this freeze, but there is no certain way to trigger it.

I followed the diagnostic instructions on a number of pages and ran a number of tests. The issue persisted over clean startup, safe mode, admins and standard accounts. I ran every kind of test I could find mentioned in other threads. none of them fixed the issue. Using task manager, I saw, AFTER the freeze stopped, that the local host was at the top of the disk list.

I opened task manager in such a way that it would be visible whenever the freeze happened. I played around until I triggered the issue and this time saw that windows defender appeared at the top of the list.

I turned off the live protection. after I did this I could not re-trigger the issue. after a restart, windows defender had automatically turned the live protection back on, but I still don't seem to be able to reproduce the issue. It seems that turning Windows Defender off and back on has resolved this issue that couldn't be fixed in a host of other ways.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

i finally resolved this issue.

it was caused by the generic windows 10 SATA driver. NOT by windows defender.

when i clean installed windows 10, the original intel SATA driver was replaced with the generic microsoft SATA driver. as soon as i reinstalled the intel SATA driver, the issue stopped.

967 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I had the same problem after updating to the anniversary, with the same messages in the event observer as this thread : Event ID 129 - storahci resetting raidport0 .

Your solution worked for me. The driver used was a generic microsoft driver, i reinstalled the drivers from my motherboard constructor (raid sata rst intel drivers) and it works since then.

Thank you a lot.

74 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting. I seem to be having the same problem with my laptop, from when I first bought it. Alas, I have little clue about anything that you are referring to for the fix. 

183 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 48,565 Applies to: