Photoshop not working in Windows 10

Windows forced an upgrade to 10 this afternoon and suddenly I'm unable to use Photoshop 5.5. (Yes, I know it's an old program but it had no issues in Windows 8.1) The program will simply not open.

I can't afford a new version of PS, the one I have fits my needs, and I'm bordering on furious that it's not working due to this upgrade I did not want.

Is there any way to get to the program to work in 10? If not, I want to know how I can roll back to my previous version of Windows since I am incredibly unhappy with the OS so far.

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

I would also suggest you to install the Photoshop in Compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Install the Photoshop in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

Follow these steps to install the Photoshop in compatibility mode and check if that helps.
1. Find the Photoshop installer file location.
2. Right-click on the setup.exe file and click on ‘properties’.
3. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.
4. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan N

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I tried the fix you suggested based on an earlier question about the same thing and unfortunately it didn't work and the program still got hung up. On top of that, Norton suddenly would not run scans (it would pop up the "run scan" screen but when I clicked for it to start, the screen would just disappear and the scan would never begin.) so I ended up rolling it back to 8.1 since I use both of those programs frequently and the upgrade was doing nothing at all to enhance my experience.

Again, thank you for your assistance but for now, I'll wait until the release has some bugs worked out of it before I try upgrading again.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for update and reply.

Sorry to know that you had to revert back to Windows 8.1 to use Photoshop 5.5. software developer of Photoshop has to provide update or patch so that Photoshop can be compatible with Windows 10. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future. We'll be more than happy to assist you again.

Thanks

Pavan N

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Margaret - your problem is exactly the same as mine.  I was actually in the middle of some Photoshop work when this upgrade wiped it off the face of the earth.  I was, as you said, beyond furious because there was no option to delay the upgrade until I did a save. 

I tried the compatibility mode and nothing happened - why is Microsoft suggesting we do that when it is not going to work!

I have not one clue how to revert to 8.1 where Photoshop 5.5 lived happily.  I am going to have to waste yet more of my day and working time trying to find out how to do that and wait for the change to occur

Feedback for MS.   (for venting purposes because obviously no one will ever read this )

1) Warn your customers that changes made might disable some of their older programs and give them the option to chose to go with the change or not - but maybe that is not commercially appropriate for you because then we would not install your product and you would not be able to mine all of our data with Windows 10

2) Let them darn well save their work before you come intruding at least

3) Provide tech support that is actually  researched - rather than say do this and that and when that doesn't at all work, later blame the developers of the program

4) Dont tell me you will be more than happy to assist when it seems you are clearly just after our data to on-sell.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to roll it back using these steps:

Open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install

Hopefully that helps. 

I was willing to try the upgrade, but I need my version of PS for now so it'll have to wait.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem, but I got Photoshop 5.5 to work in Windows 10.

I went to c:/Program Files (x86)/Adobe/Photoshop5.5,  right-clicked on Photoshop.exe and pinned it to the taskbar.  Then I clicked on the taskbar PS icon and it came up fine.

Same for Image Ready.

I also tried going into the same folder, right-clicking on Photoshop.exe and then running it as Administrator.  This also worked.

I have some even older programs - like Bookshelf 98 - that run fine under Windows 10.

The main thing is to keep trying despite the naysayers.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2024 Views 7,899 Applies to: