netio.sys blue screen error in Win 10

I keep getting a blue screen on my computer.   Dell replaced the harddrive and memory and back it comes.   I now suspect that it comes from some program I have installed.  But, all these programs run just fine on my other Alienware computer.

So, how do I find out which program uses that driver that could be causing the problem and why it is a problem on this one computer and not the other.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello my name is Michael. Is this a laptop that we are discussing about?

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello . I'm Greg, an 8 year Microsoft Windows MVP, here to help you. 1) Please work through this Checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs are done: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-performance/windows-10-performance-and-install-integrity/75529fd4-fac7-4653-893a-dd8cd4b4db00 2) If the Checklist doesn't help then add Driver Verfier to try to isolate the driver which is causing the problem: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/244617/using-driver-verifier-to-identify-issues-with-windows-drivers-for-adva 2.1) In addition enable, collect and then post back the crash file for any Blue Screen crashes following this guide: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/blue-screen-of-death-bsod/1939df35-283f-4830-a4dd-e95ee5d8669d 3) If nothing else works then you can reinstall Windows while keeping your files, programs and most settings by running a Repair Upgrade. Install the Media Creation Tool from this link and choose to Upgrade Now: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install 4) Or if your install obviously needs improving, you can create the bootable media to do the gold standard Clean Install in this link, which compiles the best possible install of Windows 10 that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-reinstall-windows-10-upgradefactory-oem/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587 5) There is also an automated Refresh which reinstalls Windows while leaving out the factory bloatware that throttles Windows and causes endless issues, lets you save your files. https://www.howtogeek.com/265054/how-to-easily-reinstall-windows-10-without-the-bloatware/ Feel free to ask back any questions and let me know how it goes. I'll keep working with you until it's resolved.

Windows MVP 2010-20

Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 12 years. Now an Independent Advisor.

I do not quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should also try the MS BSOD trouble shooter: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14238/windows-10-troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Greg,

The machine is brand new Alienware 13 R3 which Dell took back and replaced both drive and memory.   So, I am pretty  sure that after not failing hardware checks at Dell, it is program related.   The one thing we did not do is dump out the error message to see exactly what is triggering it.   But, I should say that since I have removed the virus ESET and Malware that the blue screens have gone away.   But, this is curious.   Running the same programs on my Alienware 17, I get NONE of the problems.   But, the Windows are both Windows 10 Home.   (If there is a better way to check versions and stuff I can be told how to do that but I am not a computer techie.)

So, I will get a tech to help me understand how to work through the Checklist you provided but it may take me a day or so.   We have done a lot, checking through all the hardware and updates etc.  And, this is the SECOND windows installation.   I am not wasting my time with a third since I have 30 days, (now about 20), to simply send it back and get my money.

But, I do like the computer.

So, I will check it out.   But, I think some offending program is triggering that driver error I keep getting.   It is always the same.   The Blue screen reads BAD POOL CALLER and the offending driver (checking out another error screen) is netio.sys).  This is what that screen says.

The "unknown" driver (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netio.sys) appears to have caused a system crash.   Complete the tasks below to help prevent unexpected shutdowns

Scan your computer for viruses DONE
Install driver updates DONE
Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer DONE
Run a full set of system diagnostics to check your system health DONE

Go to a restore point.  (What I did was uninstall ESET and Malware). And, that seems to be the issue.   But, the only difference between the two windows operating system is that on the Alienware 17, I upgraded from Win 7.....and coincidentally that netio.sys is somehow something from win 7???

Okay, I hope all this helps us zero in.  

Thank you for responding.

Cheryl 

Hello . I'm Greg, an 8 year Microsoft Windows MVP, here to help you. 1) Please work through this Checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs are done: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-performance/windows-10-performance-and-install-integrity/75529fd4-fac7-4653-893a-dd8cd4b4db00 2) If the Checklist doesn't help then add Driver Verfier to try to isolate the driver which is causing the problem: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/244617/using-driver-verifier-to-identify-issues-with-windows-drivers-for-adva 2.1) In addition enable, collect and then post back the crash file for any Blue Screen crashes following this guide: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/blue-screen-of-death-bsod/1939df35-283f-4830-a4dd-e95ee5d8669d 3) If nothing else works then you can reinstall Windows while keeping your files, programs and most settings by running a Repair Upgrade. Install the Media Creation Tool from this link and choose to Upgrade Now: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install 4) Or if your install obviously needs improving, you can create the bootable media to do the gold standard Clean Install in this link, which compiles the best possible install of Windows 10 that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-reinstall-windows-10-upgradefactory-oem/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587 5) There is also an automated Refresh which reinstalls Windows while leaving out the factory bloatware that throttles Windows and causes endless issues, lets you save your files. https://www.howtogeek.com/265054/how-to-easily-reinstall-windows-10-without-the-bloatware/ Feel free to ask back any questions and let me know how it goes. I'll keep working with you until it's resolved.        i

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is an alienware 13 R3 running Windows 10 Home.

I get a BAD POOL CALLER blue screen and a dell diagnostic of the following.

The "unknown" driver (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netio.sys) appears to have caused a system crash.   Complete the tasks below to help prevent unexpected shutdowns   (And, I did all these).

Scan your computer for viruses
Install driver updates
Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer
Run a full set of system diagnostics to check your system health

Go to a restore point.  (What I did was uninstall ESET and Malware).  And, that seems to do the trick.

I should also point out that the computer is brand new and I can still return it but Dell already took it back and replaced the hard drive and memory and this is the second install of windows.   In both cases the problems I believe start with the ESET and/or Malware.   I like these programs but can find nothing on their sites about this issue.   But, if that is the problem, I will be looking into it.  (Oh, and I do NOT run utorrents that I know of.)

I suspect it is the anti-virus/malware programs I run.   ESET and Malwarebytes,   but these two programs work just fine on my Alienware 17 with Windows 10 Home and have for years.   The only difference is that on the Alienware 17, the windows has been built up from win 7 and coincidentally netio.sys seems to be associated with win 7 in some way.

It is beyond me.

Thank you for your response and help.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Cheryl - The Netio.sys crash is caused by an intrusive network manager added to Nvidia's bloatware package that's not needed as an addition to the Display driver. Go to Settings>Apps to uninstall any Nvidia package and then install the driver alone from Windows Update or the Dell Support Downloads webpage. You said you ended the crashes by uninstalling ESET and some malware. Be aware that for any antivirus except built-in Defender some remnants will be left behind of the bloat that causes issues until they are either fully removed or Windows reinstalled. You can use the ESET uninstaller to check for leftovers: http://www.esetscandinavia.com/support/how-do-i-manually-uninstall-my-eset-security-product/ Please let me know how these affect your install. I'd also proceed with Dell to resolve the problems on your PC or else get it repaired or replaced. Dell was one of the first to come around to helping Users do a Clean install and may offer Windows reinstallation media without the Bloatware but with all needed drivers. However I still would stick with the gold Standard Clean install here since it uses everything that works best and there are never any subsequent issues reported: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-reinstall-windows-10-upgradefactory-oem/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

Windows MVP 2010-20

Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 12 years. Now an Independent Advisor.

I do not quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you open the DMP file with word pad and paste the information here? The DMP files should be accessible from here: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can locate the files but when I try to open them it says I don't have permission.   There is only one user to this computer me who is the admin.   apparently Microsoft has another layer of security?   How can I get these files to you?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Greg.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this response.

I am going to share the above (which is a bit technical for me) with the Dell people who are helping me.  I am going to ask that they assist me in checking out what you have indicated may be the problem.  

What you say makes perfect sense to me.  But, I have a limited knowledge of computers.  

It just seems to me that somehow two big companies like Dell and Microsoft who have captured together such a significant share of the market ought to be able to solve these issues.

This is a wonderful computer.   Dell offers great support.   And, you have confirmed for me that there are people who are familiar with Microsoft who are also willing to step forward to assist.  I would hope that this is in some capacity associated with Microsoft.  If not, Microsoft is not taking its job of providing a functioning operating system seriously.

I am a consumer.   I am a customer.  I am not a technician.  I just want to be able to use some device to do the things I want to do.   I don't really care whose job it is to see that it happens.   I just want it to work.

Dell has already stepped forward and given this computer a new hard drive and memory....just in case.  They have even extended the period I can return the computer under the 30 day return policy should we not be able to work this out.

Dell sells a lot of computers that use Microsoft operating systems.

So, it just seems to me that a big company like Dell and a big company like Microsoft ought to be able to work together to give me (a customer)  a computer that functions as I need it to.

Most people would likely have given up.   But, here I spend some 12 hours figuring out how to navigate Dell and Microsoft support in order to get someone (you) who is familiar with Microsoft to share relevant information with me that I can pass on to Dell so we can see if we can resolve this issue before I return the computer.

Did I say...

THANK YOU....THANK YOU....THANK YOU?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have OneDrive or Dropbox where you can share the file?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 24, 2021 Views 42,313 Applies to: