Mouse lag when laptop is hooked up to an external monitor

Hi guys,

I currently have a problem and I'm not to sure if it is a harddrive issue or software issue. Anyway, I have a new Asus laptop that runs on Windows 10. When I plug my laptop into an external 27" AOC monitor via HDMI cable my logitech wireless mouse seems to be lagging quite a bit. I will move it physically across the mouse pad and the cursor on the screen will either move erratically in small burst or will not move at all. I currently set my monitors so it only displays on my second monitor (Laptop closed), but when I open the laptop and use the track pad the cursor seems to be working fine.

Please help me, it has made my work productivity a complete nightmare.

Cheers,

Hi,

The above issue might occur due to non-updated mouse drivers installed or if any third party application/program is conflicting with the mouse drivers installed on the computer.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

1. Does the issue persists only on connecting an external monitor to the computer?
  2. Did you check if similar issue persists on connecting an external mouse to the computer?

Method 1: If haven’t tried, check if similar issue persists on connecting an external mouse to the laptop. If the issue does not persists, update touchpad drivers manually from Device manager by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

1. Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select Device manager from the context menu.
  2. Expand Mice and other pointing devices option and check if touchpad driver is located. If yes, right click on the driver and select Update this software from the context menu.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the update to complete.
  4. After the update is complete, close the window and check if the changes are effective.
  5. If the issue persists, download and install the latest and most compatible device drivers from the manufacturer’s website and check if the issue is resolved.

Method 2: If the issue persists, boot the computer in Clean boot state and check if any installed third party application/program is causing the issue.

Putting the system in Clean boot will enable the PC to start using minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista.

Refer to the section How to perform a clean boot for Windows 10 from the article.

Disclaimer: Start the computer in normal mode refer the section, How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting from the link above.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of mouse performance issue experienced on the computer in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Likhitha,

Thank you for your reply. The answers to your questions are;

1)It only lags when an external monitor is connected. Either extending my display over two screens or just having the external monitor as my main screen.2)This mouse worked perfectly on Windows 7 and on my partners Macbook Pro.

Cheers,

J

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying with the answers to the questions asked in the above post.

Please reply, did you try the methods suggested above?

If haven’t tried, please follow the methods suggested in the above post and check if either helps in resolving the issue.

Write to us with the status of mouse performance issue experienced on the computer for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Asus laptop. I tried to reinstall mouse drivers with no result.

My mouse is lagging on built in display when I have connected external monitor through hdmi. Mouse is lagging only over windows desktop. Mouse is NOT lagging when it is over any window.

I have 4k display (build in), but I am using only full HD resolution. External monitor is only full HD.

EDIT: I find out that even video on that screen is lagging when I move mouse over desktop.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Have the same problem. The in-built trackpad on my laptop performs without a glitch, but mouse keeps stuttering. This happens only when an external display is connected. The problem does not depend on the mouse driver it seems (Microsoft wireless mouse 4000 with the latest control center and an old Logitech, both have this issue). I reckon the problem is somewhere between mouse driver and display output. Somebody should look into this seriously, as there appears to be a large number of people having this issue.

Best,

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2021 Views 26,654 Applies to: