How do I stop UASPStor from interfering with my programs?

Three weeks ago, I started to notice that, as I flipped through my JPG, GIF or PNG images with the Win10 Photo Viewer, I would get frequent pauses (with ellipses rolling from left to right at the top of the Photo Viewer window) before the next photo is displayed.  On top of that, once in a while, when I saved any item, there would be a pause (sometimes even a "Not Responding" message) before the action resumes and the item is saved.

I have not tested the activity of these pauses on a video game, but I would imagine that, if they were to occur during game play, I could end up with frequent screen freezes.

I went into the Event Viewer, and this is what I get:

Log Name:      System
Source:        UASPStor
Date:          9/9/2017 4:38:54 AM
Event ID:      129
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      BlueXmasWin10
Description:
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort3, was issued.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="UASPStor" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32772">129</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-09-09T08:38:54.738496300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>33035</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>BlueXmasWin10</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>\Device\RaidPort3</Data>
    <Binary>0F001800010000000000000081000480010000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000810004800000000000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>

This warning pops up in the Event Viewer almost every 30 seconds, and the Photo Viewer freezes and Save operation freezes coincide with every warning.

How do I stop UASPStor from interfering with the operation of my programs or stalling them?  What I've seen on the Web so far, that passes for solutions, looks like misdirected gibberish to me.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

There could be a system conflict that is why you're experiencing this issue. We'd like to know if you have made any recent changes on your PC prior to this issue so we can isolate your concern.

Meanwhile, we recommend running the System File Checker and DISM or System Update Readiness tool. These tools can help you scan for corruptions or missing system files on your Windows machine and restore it as well.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried sfc /scannow.  It didn't detect any problems.

DISM is quite complicated.  Too many subcommands on that list that could be applied to DISM, and I don't know which one to use with regard to my problem., and I dare not try one at random, lest I corrupt my Win10 setup.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for performing the System File Checker and DISM.

Since the issue still continues, we recommend resetting your computer. Follow the steps under Reset your PC in this article. Make sure to read the Option and What it does before performing the said process.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

You misread my last post.  I never tried DISM.  Too many subcommands and I don't know which one I should use with DISM for this particular problem.  And resetting this machine is not an option, because I have done that far too many times over the years when I've come up with bigger problems that threaten the functionality of everything else; and this is the best setup I have had since.  There must be another way to isolate THIS problem without having to start all over again, once again.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

We encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub.  You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.  

For more information on Feedback Hub, see our support article and YouTube video

In order to submit new feedback. Please follow these steps:  

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for Feedback Hub in Cortana search, then launch the app. 
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.  
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.  
  5. Once you've completed the form and monitoring, click Submit
  6. Click Continue using feedback Hub.  
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).  
  8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.  
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response. 

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post your query anytime.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I think I found the symptom, or the cause, of those UASPStor (Event ID 129) errors flooding my Event Viewer and stalling routine operations in Windows 10 (Open/Save/etc.):

I have this 2½-inch USB 3.0 portable drive.  When I plug this thing into a USB 3.0 port, routine Open/Save operations (and whatever else I have yet to discover) are stalled for a good 1 to 3 seconds, almost at the rate of twice a minute, and twice a minute UASPStor triggers an Event ID 129 error.

I happen to have two Seagate 3½-inch 2TB (SATA 3.0) desktop internal hard drives inside a Dyconn hard drive external docking bay (USB 3.0), plugged into another USB 3.0 port, and I have never come up with a UASPStor Event ID 129 error with this device; nor do I get this error with a USB flash drive.

UPDATE:  I have tried the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

No luck upon restart.  The UASPStor error continues to repeat itself endlessly in the Event Viewer when I have the Seagate portable hard drive plugged in.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

UASPStor is part of the Windows USB support system. However other parts of the system can affect its stability. Update the BIOS, chipset drivers, and any other USB drivers at the System/Motherboard Maker's site. And check with its Support and Forums for known issues.

Also check for updates to any drivers or software that Seagate might have provided with the USB drive. And be sure to check with SeaGate's Support for known issues.

Hope this helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

Rob Brown - past Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider MVP 2016 - 2021
Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT 2009 - 2020

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

UASPStor is part of the Windows USB support system. However other parts of the system can affect its stability. Update the BIOS, chipset drivers, and any other USB drivers at the System/Motherboard Maker's site. And check with its Support and Forums for known issues.

Also check for updates to any drivers or software that Seagate might have provided with the USB drive. And be sure to check with SeaGate's Support for known issues.

Hope this helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

Unfortunately this is not a Seagate issue.  For one, this is a plug-and-play external hard drive (no Seagate hardware drivers involved).  For another, I have plugged this into my Windows 10 laptop, and I don't have the UASPStor Event ID 129 warning repeating itself twice a minute in the Event Viewer of my laptop.  I have upgraded and downgraded my BIOS, and the issue remains.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

It may not be a Seagate issue however it still could be, such as some weird bug in their firmware that only affects certain system setup configurations. Did you also check for updates to the chipset drivers?

Definitely contact Seagate Support since they may have other users reporting the same and may even know the solution, even if it proves to be a Windows problem.

------

Have you tried a Clean Boot just to see if something starting up is the cause (even 3rd party antivirus/security programs could be in play if used).

How to perform a clean boot in Windows 
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

How to clean boot Windows 10
http://windowsinstructed.com/clean-boot-windows-windows/

Other programs to help :

Autoruns - Free - See what programs are configured to startup automatically
when your system boots and you login. Autoruns also shows you the full list
of Registry and file locations where applications can configure auto-start settings.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Process Explorer - Free - Find out what files, registry keys and other objects
processes have open, which DLLs they have loaded, and more. This uniquely
powerful utility will even show you who owns each process.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

==================================================

Keep in mind if this were a Windows issue it is most likely that millions of others would be having it. And yours is the only instance I have seen in quite a while.

Rob - SpiritX

Rob Brown - past Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider MVP 2016 - 2021
Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT 2009 - 2020

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no firmware for this drive.  Again, this is a plug-and-play drive, and it is not a hybrid drive (therefore no chipset).

It remains to be seen what a clean boot will reveal.

UPDATE:  The UASPStor (Event ID 129) warning, and the interference it causes when I try to open or save a file, point to one service:  Acronis Scheduler 2 Service.  It operates within Acronis True Image or Acronis Drive Monitor.  I only have these programs installed on my desktop.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2021 Views 3,521 Applies to: