Getting Blue screen of death error code 0x0000003b

Original title: Unexplained BSOD

Since upgrade on Dec.27, the Windows 10 reliability monitor shows multiple instances of installation of “WPD FileSystem Volume Driver”.  I count installations of that driver on 7 different days, even though I have only 3 USB drives and 1 USB stick. 

Details of big system crash below: 

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000005, 0xfffff960b5bdd8be, 0xffffd0002c1a8bd0, 0x0000000000000000)." 

I received a "system_service_exception" BSOD.  Just before the system went to the BSOD, I saw that Memory on Task Manager was tapped out at 100%  --  I believe that CPU and Disk were also at much higher than normal levels.  I had not made any changes to the computer or hardware configuration other than move the Microsoft wireless mouse "dongle" from one USB port to another.  Computer is a Lenovo W540 ThinkPad with 8Gb of RAM. 

Here are links to TTB124 minidump file TTB124 DriverView report ,  and  TTB124 Memory dump file  (about 1 Gb). 

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

0x0000003b is usually a graphic's driver (display adapter/video driver), other possibilities include
but are not limited to antivirus/antispyware/security programs and even memory (mapping).

A blue screen error (also called a stop error) can occur if a problem causes your PC to shut down or restart unexpectedly. When you experience this type of error, you won’t be able to see things like the Start menu or the taskbar on the screen when your PC is turned on. Instead you might see a blue screen with a message that your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.

I would request you to perform the steps from the link mentioned below and see if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I still can't explain the BSOD crash, but the failed read/write operations and data losses appear to have been caused by a bad USB 3.0 cable received from Amazon last week.  So there's at least half the problem solved since it's now a week since the BSOD and haven't had further incidence. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

It was nice of you to share the latest update of the issue with us. Good to know that there is no occurrence of Blue scree,

If you face any issues with Windows in future, do let us know.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2024 Views 807 Applies to: