Forced unwanted Windows 10 upgrade has bricked my encrypted laptop

My laptop is an Asus N55 on windows 7 and encrypted with Truecrypt, I have been holding off upgrading to windows 10 because I'd read that I needed to unencrypt my system drive and back-up first, but it seems that Microsoft isn't quite so thorough. Like everyone else I have been getting the increasingly heavy handed invites to upgrade to windows 10 but on Sunday morning I started the laptop to find I had no OS to boot up and none of the recovery options work. I have managed to retrieve the 'WindowsUpdate' and 'ReportingEvents' log file and both seem to point to an attempted upgrade when I shut down on Saturday night.

The problem I now have, apart from the two wasted days trying to get to the bottom of this, is that I cannot find the Asus recovery media and I cannot download an original iso as my copy of windows was pre-installed, so currently I have nothing to re-install. Any suggestions on how I can get hold of a genuine copy of windows 7 to rescue my laptop?

|

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

1. Do you have Windows 7 product key?
  2. What is the exact error message you are getting?
  3. Is the upgrade process initiated on the PC when you say ”an attempted upgrade when I shut down on Saturday night”?

If you have the product key of Windows 7 OS in your possession, I suggest you to perform clean installation of the operating system and check if the issue is resolved.

Download Windows 7 ISO image from the below link to perform clean installation:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home

Refer to the link below on Installing and reinstalling Windows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/installing-reinstalling-windows#1TC=windows-7

Note: If you format a partition during installation, any data on the partition will be erased. Be sure to back up any data you want to keep before you begin.

You can also upgrade to Windows 10 directly by downloading and installing the ISO File from the Media Creation Tool provided you have the product key of the previously installed OS.

Refer to the link below on How to download official Windows 10 ISO files:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-download-official-windows-10-iso-files/35cde7ec-5b6f-481c-a02d-dadf465df326

Also refer to the following link on Get Started with Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-get-to-know-windows-10

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the quick response. I do have a Windows 7 product key but I when tried to verify it before downloading the ISO image it tells me that as my windows 7 was pre-installed I need to contact the manufacturer of my laptop, but as it was a Microsoft upgrade that has caused my issue it should be up to Microsoft to return my laptop to the same condition it was at before it took this unwarranted action.

In answer to your other questions I currently don't get an error message when I start up, once I enter the Truecrypt password I get 'Windows Loading' flashed up on the screen, then it immediately tries to load the system recovery tool, but none of the options work and it cannot find any of the restoration points that should be there. I didn't see the laptop trying to update but the 'ReportingEvents' log is reporting lots of entries like this:

'Success Content Install Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on ‎13 ‎March ‎2016 at 00:32:  - Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586'

Many Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for replying with the status of the issue. Your response is much appreciated.

Please reply to few more questions for understanding the issue better:

1. Which Windows recovery environment is displayed on the screen (black background for Windows 7, blue for Windows 10 OS)?
  2. What are the options shown in the Windows recovery environment window?

Write to us with the answers to the above questions for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

From your last post it looks like win10 was downloaded but not installed because truecrypt has the drive encrypted so windows 10 cant install because the drive or space needed is locked out.

I would try to get the drive decrypted before windows starts to load.

This link gives some information on how to do that http://superuser.com/questions/612509/windows-7-startup-repair-with-truecrypt

As long as the drive is encrypted it may not be possible to install any other os on that drive.

Now win10 may get installed if you are able to get the encryption off, but there is a 30 window to revert back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the response kjl1956. Once I had decrypted the system drive and reset the boot loader the system recovery managed to repair the damage and the laptop now starts with no problems. For the time being I kept the windows 10 upgrade under control by turning automatic updates off and checking for new updates manually. 

Considering that I lost the use of my laptop for work for 3 days purely due to Microsoft forcing an unwarranted OS upgrade I feel that an element of compensation from Microsoft would be the right to do. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the response kjl1956. Once I had decrypted the system drive and reset the boot loader the system recovery managed to repair the damage and the laptop now starts with no problems. For the time being I kept the windows 10 upgrade under control by turning automatic updates off and checking for new updates manually. 

Considering that I lost the use of my laptop for work for 3 days purely due to Microsoft forcing an unwarranted OS upgrade I feel that an element of compensation from Microsoft would be the right to do. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Would suggest you use the "GWX control panel tool" to help

stop win10 upgrades until you are sure you want it.

This is a direct link at softpedia, majorgeeks  also has a download; or do a internet search for it.

I am using it on win7 and it has some great features that are very configurable.

Note; the tool is updated by the developer so check often to see if it is.

Other issue is that microsoft will still put the same KB with different number strings in its update list even if they are disabled by the tool,  

to fool the user into downloading them.

I would also check the factory recovery partition and the rest of the drive to see if any modifications have been made to it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 25, 2019 Views 725 Applies to: