Extremely high DPC Latency from Directx Graphics Kernel since Anniversary Update.

Hello,

This is the only place that I hope can bring peace to my mind. I have a persistent problem since the Windows 10 Anniversary update that has challenged my mental capabilities each and every one of these 20 days since the update. The problem is: Sound crack and Popping occurs when playing audio/gaming/streaming videos followed by stuttering / mini stuttering when playing games. Especially bad if I switch tabs or doing both at the same time. I checked my PC's  DPC latency, and it is through the roof.

I used 2 programs to check my DPC latency: Latency Mon and DPClat. The first tool brought up a detailed report as to what causes the problem and the second just informed me of my extreme latency (1500 ms). According to Latency Mon (I will include the report below) dxkrnl.sys (DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation) is what causing the huge spikes. The first thing I did was to re install the drivers of my GPU (GTX 970). Nothing changed. I then proceeded to remove my GPU, remove the drivers using DDU and checking again. The same thing was reported with my integrated gpu. I proceeded to do a clean install of windows 4 different times, testing from the beginning if I had issues and until I installed all the necessary drivers of my motherboard. The same problem was reported each and every time. And the same problem with the sound occurred each and every time. I sold my 970 and got a 1070 (was planning an update anyway). Same thing. Now I am sitting here, with no GPU inside my rig, with a fresh install of windows, trying to figure out what is wrong and what is causing the DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation to cause all these problems.
On top of that, to eliminate any problems related to audio drivers or bad integrated sound card, I used sound from my AT2020 USB+ microphone which has a dedicated sound card. Same thing happened when using sound directly from the microphone.

P.S - Before you post the usual, yes I did everything a sane person would do. Changed the power settings to be at high performance, removed from BIOS any power management related setting, Removed drivers and reinstalled them using DDU, did a fresh installation (not even reset) of windows, changed cables of each and every component, updated my GPU to a new one, completely removed my GPU and used the Integrated GPU, changed ram slots, removed any oc on CPU, GPU, RAM etc etc etc. Please, for the love of God and everything holy, help me find the issue. It's been 20 days that I cannot do anything on my PC.

P.S 2 - SPECS:

Mobo: MSI z170 m7 Gaming
CPU: i7 6700K
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X (Prior: MSI GTX 970 Gaming)
Ram: HyperX Savage @2144 (2400 OC) 8G (1 stick, planning to purchase more in the near future)

P.S 3 - The highest reported ISR change from time to time, including different services (USB, Audio, NVM (when NVidia card is installed), network etc)

P.S 4 - Latency Mon Report (Displays Win 8 as my operating system, I suppose it's a bug as it was just updated to windows 10 compatibility)

CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:00:53  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-4SMBROD
OS version:                                           Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware:                                             MS-7976, MSI, Z170A GAMING M7 (MS-7976)
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  8079 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   4008 MHz
Measured CPU speed:                                   1 MHz (approx.)
Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.
WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.
Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   16272.856039
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   2.789057
Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       16269.279194
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1.092482

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              104.427395
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.007282
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.014382
ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   24480
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              17630.126497
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.067926
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.191897
DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   247321
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                201
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              2
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.
NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.
Process with highest pagefault count:                 microsoftedge.exe
Total number of hard pagefaults                       3881
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          1771
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          205116.379242
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              1.001857
Number of processes hit:                              30

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.696737
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                104.427395
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.058574
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      23690
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                17630.126497
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.662355
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      228069
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.246965
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                95.585329
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.002375
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      774
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                751.155190
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.020739
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      1526
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.019748
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                10.030938
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000041
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      12
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                184.732285
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.062105
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      10302
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.330258
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                4.691617
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000009
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      4
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                83.281687
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.005475
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      720
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.942412
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                109.556886
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.023901
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      2886
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.349997
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                120.252994
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.009875
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      808
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.932392
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                107.993762
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.021414
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      2242
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.344988
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                95.588822
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.008027
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      975

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi John,

We understand the issue you are facing and appreciate for providing the detailed information.

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Check if the issue persists in Clean Boot state. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

* Place the computer in a Clean Boot and check if the issue is occurring due to any third party programs.

Follow the link to view the steps to perform Clean Boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer:  Start the computer in normal mode refer the section, "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the link above.

Method 2: Follow the troubleshooting steps provided after selecting the options in the drop down list in the link below:

Fix sound problems

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/a183aa8b-0eac-4566-867a-98d2761a770d/fix-sound-problems

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The problem still occurs when I am on clean boot mode. As I stated, I installed each and every driver of my motherboard. As I also said, I used an external sound card (microphone with integrated sound card) to check if the problem persists. The problem is not related to sound. Something is messed up with dxkrnl.sys since the latest windows update that causes high DPC latency, causing the dropouts and the cracking sounds

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a huge problem.

I have the exact same issue.

Huge ISR time for the directX Kernel.

There are also enormous amounts of people on the Nvidia support forums with pascal GPU's that are reporting similar issue.  There may be something to that.

I have also done every conceivable manner of debug.  I tried tracing but couldn't find nvidia symbols nor could I get the directX symbols to help figure out what within directX was interrupting all the time.

--------------------------

CPU: i7-6700k @ stock
RAM: 64GB of DDR4 3200
GPU: 1080 GTX FE @ stock (368.81, 368.95, 372.54, 372.70)
MB: Asus Z170-Premium BIOS 1902
OS: Windows 10 AU 10.0.14393 Build 14393.105 (occurred on 14393.82, 14393.103 as well)
SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVME M.2
Displays: 2 x Asus Swift PG279Q

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft seems to ignore that. After hours of digging, I found out that if I enable game boost in my motherboard (z170 m7 from MSI) and get an automated overclock of my cpu, I reduce the DPC latency to a steady 500 ms (from steady 1000) I still get pikes though with dropouts and cracks. I believe the problem lies to bad communication with windows and cpu/mobo. By the way, if I disable C-states and any power management from motherboard I do not reduce the DPC latency. Please, at least aknowledge the problem Microsoft so we know you are going to fix this. This is the worst I've seen from Microsoft in ages. Seriously who even releases such a big update without checking guys. I was an insider for Pete's sake and I had more stable versions of Windows in the past!!

64 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. huge latency to dxgkrnl.sys and nvlddmkm.sys

First removed and then updated _everything_. No change whatsoever. Had no problems prior the update.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here. Updated to Anniversary yesterday (9/9/2016) and since then am getting DPC latency spikes of 5000-7000 us on dxgkrnl.sys when playing games.  My games will literally freeze for about 0.5 seconds when this DPC spike occurs. The spike itself happens about every 3-5 minutes. 

Uninstalling and reinstalling graphics driver made no difference. 

MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC

8GB DDR3-1866

MSI 290X Lightning (Driver: 16.9.1)

Win10 Anv (1607)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I really hope someone have an official answer. This is getting ridiculous. If the update is not ready yet then dont push it!!!

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ahaa. Atlast found what I was looking for.

This issue has created my machine into a self styled Heater.

First of all I faced some flickering/popping audio from System. Then my games started crashing as only feasible way to use the system is a Force Restart, which I believe has done by me close to 200 times since update.

Yes it is a notable bug and DPC latency level while gaming are: 16250 + us.

Please address this major disaster before somebody's system explodes.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was actually happy to find this. I guessed that it had something to do with the Anniversary update but was not sure. I have the exact problem and also reinstalled windows 10 several times but still have the problem. I am using a Komplete Audio 6 DAC and am seeing Latency of 1457 us making my computer impossible to use for Audio and Music Production. When I close Ableton Live Suite 9 the latency drops to 600-746. This is with a buffer setting of 2 ms if I drop it to 1 ms the latency climbs to 2,300. What is going on?

I also have noticed that this problem seems to have occurred only after the update to 1607 Windows Anniversary Edition.  I will report this to Ableton but I do believe now that its a windows problem and its the same drivers

nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 369.09

dxgkrnl.sys DirectX Graphics Kernel

Any updates ? Does anyone know of a fix or a patch ?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure how this issue would increase heat? My temps are exactly the same. And I should know as I monitor temps 24/7.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2021 Views 56,820 Applies to: