error- the stub received bad data

hey guys. i would appreciate any help. i got an update from windows and it was not a normal one it installed like a full windows install. and after that i keep receiving the error- THE STUB RECEIVED BAD DATA while using different software, games even windows task manager and i have tried everything even resetting my windows. the sfc/scannow results were ok- it didnt detect any problems. i use a laptop with in build recovery partition/activator , hard reinstall is not an option for me. 

Question Info

Last updated January 9, 2019 Views 946 Applies to:

Hello,

As per the description I understand you are facing issues with error: "the stub received bad data" while trying to access third party software installed on your device.

Do let us know if you are referring to reset of the operating system with keeping files when you say: " i have tried everything even resetting my windows"?

I would like to inform that when you perform reset of the operating system all the applications/ programs and updates will be removed from the system and you will have to re-install all of those.

When you perform repair of the operating system, this will repair all the Windows files and programs and not the third party applications.

If the issue persists with third party applications, I suggest you to repair the programs and check if it helps.

Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on Programs and Features, click on programs you are facing issues with, check if there are Uninstall/ Change/ Repair options for the programs.

If found, I suggest you to repair the programs and check if the issue still persists.

Hope it helps. Update us if you are still facing issues with the above error message. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1- thanks for replying.

2- the error does not only come up with 3rd party softwares. i have received this error while opening taskmanager and event viewer and that too multiple times.

3- i did resting with keeping my files. i didnt reinstall any 3rd party software and drivers but still received the error while opening task manager right after turning it on for the first time after the reset.

4- my system is up to dateKB3163018 (OS Build 10586.420) installed.

5- some of my 3rd party apps used to run smoothly and now i cant even open them (after the update)

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you happen to have an nvidia card and drivers in the 368.xx branch?  These errors and and many others occur only if I install 368.22, 368.39, and the latest hotfix version 368.51.

If I roll back nvidia drivers to 365.19 all these problems go away.  I and many others are having this error and have reported to nvidia, but so far they haven't reproduced it.  Maybe Miscrosoft guys could talk to the Nvidia guys and work this out?  I don't know.

If you don't have nvidia and 368.xx drivers, then you can ignore this... Or maybe it sparks something Microsoft can check.  Note that some people have tried insider builds of windows 10 and still get these errors.

You can read up on guru3d and the geforce forums if you would like.  There are some really detailed posts of people with these same problems and all the steps they've gone through to try to narrow down the problem.

The threads are quite long now so here are some links to relevant posts

geforce forums detailed post: link

guru3d post from same user from geforce forums: link

And a new guru3d new thread for just these errors: link

Hopefully this is helpful.  The more people we get reporting this maybe some developer somewhere has a breakthrough and can fix this for all of us.

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for replying ^

i am not using the 369.xx drivers. As I said earlier this error came on basic windows, right after the reset with no drivers installed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Apologize for the delay in response to your device.

I suggest you to perform a Clean Boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows 

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with Clean Boot” to return the computer to a Normal startup mode.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.