Dual monitor issue after september cumulative update KB4038788

Two system in our office with dual monitor configuration, windows 10 pro x64 1703.

After install KB4038788 update, on boot after shutdown (not after restart) the second monitor remains in stand by. On both system, I see the win logo and on login the right monitor go in stand by mode. One system is configurated with primary monitor on left and secondary on right, second with primary on right and secondary on left. In both system the right monitor start in stand-by. The only mode to reactivate it is on screen settings and deactivating/reactivating the second monitor.
In one system i have uninstall the update and it has returned normal, but in the other the uninstall procedure has not been successful.
Both graphic board are Radeon HD with default microsoft driver.
Any idea or suggestion to solve the problem?
Thank's in advance

Moved from: ( Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup / PC )

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2018 Views 4,237 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Do the computers-in-question belong to you or to your employer?

PS: You're certainly not alone! => https://goo.gl/CPGYfJ

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Robert, thank you for your interest
I'm my employer ...  :)
The computers are self-made-assembled about 5-7 years ago MB socket 775, CPU Core2 8400, RAM 8Gb, SK Video RADEON HD 4500 series.
Operating systems from XP to Seven to Windows 10 always in dual monitor configuration without any special problems.
As mentioned earlier, the problem started after the KB4038788 update, when I start the computer, the right monitor stays in standby mode. Now that I think, in both systems, monitors that are in standby are connected to DVI.
Thanks for any suggestions you can give me ...

P.S. My apologize for my english, i am from italy....

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming (a) both computers were running Windows 7, and (b) the upgrade from Win7 to Win10 was offered and installed via Windows Update (i.e., you did not upgrade manually), and (c) Creators Update/Win10 1703 was also offered and installed via Windows Update, and (d) KB4038788 was also offered and installed via Windows Update..., possibilities include:

• You may have a hardware problem on your hands (e.g., one or both of the monitors are too old and no longer supported in Win10 Version 1703, OS Build 15063.608 & higher.

• Windows Update may have installed one or more incompatible graphics driver updates.
  • Yet another bug in a cumulative update which will only be identified & resolved in a later update.

Note: All of the above are not unusual with Win10 installed on aging-in-place, custom built systems.

IMPORTANT! => Neither computer should be connected to the internet or a local network if KB4038788 has been uninstalled & hidden.

The above notwithstanding, this is a Consumer-specific forum. You may be better off posting in the IT Pro-specific forums for appropriate assistance: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro

You may obtain third-party, Microsoft-sponsored - but not necessarily free - support via Windows Support/Answer Desk - Direct Chat Assistance => https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contact/chat/4/

====================================================
DISCLAIMER: Posted AS IS with no guarantees. MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft.

PS: Your English is better than my Italian!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

I've experienced the same problem with the same symptoms. A few more points:

• I'm a home user running Windows 10 Home

• I also have a Radeon HD graphics card.

• The second monitor won't start up after the computer has powered down. It's usually OK with just a restart.

• When booting the computer after powering up the Bios screen and Windows 10 logo both appear on the second monitor but the desktop won't appear

• I can use Windows/P to set the desktop to a single screen, then set it again to extended across both monitors and at this point the second monitor starts to work

• I've downgraded the graphics card driver to an older version and the problem is still there

• When I upgraded to Windows 10 I kept the old system disk (running Windows 7) for use when needed. If I boot from this disk the second monitor works perfectly after booting up. For me this rules out hardware as a cause of the problem

• When I uninstalled KB4038788 the second monitor worked perfectly after booting up.

• Of course Windows automatically reinstalled KB4038788 and the second monitor started to misbehave again.

• Sleep/resume has also been broken by this update. The computer won't resume - it just hangs and has to be interrupted in order to restart.

• The second monitor misbehaviour and the broken sleep/resume are, in my opinion, proved conclusively to be due to KB4038788

• I've not found any way to stop the problem occurring other than uninstalling KB4038788

Sorry this didn't help.

KF-UK you are not alone. What I did, is I uninstalled all new updates and paused the download feature. Hopefully someone has a workaround before serious problems occur. As you know Microsoft is a security conscious organization looking out for the well being of it customers. In other words we need your money but if the matter hits the fan we have no knowledge of your existence but would you recommend our products to your friends.

Sorry this didn't help.

Even after KB4040724 (build 15063.632) update, the issue persists (in my case).
There are two workaround for this issue reguarding my opinion at the moment:
1 - at login or later, the combination of shift-ctrl-win + B restores the graphics card and this "awaken" the monitor in standby
2 - Turn off Fast Boot by disabling it via Control Panel \ Power Options \ Choose What the Power Buttons do \ Change Settings that are Currently Unavailable \ untick "Turn on fast startup".

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am having problems with a dual monitor setup. My system had KB4038788 installed this month. I will attempt an uninstall and see if the dual monitor sleep issue goes away.... Complete symptom details for me are below.

I am subscribing to this thread hoping Microsoft provides an answer. 

I'm looking for some tips to fix a problem with a dual monitor setup on Windows 10. The symptom is "no DVI-D signal detected by 2nd monitor after Sleep or Shutdown" - but everything works fine after a Restart. This behavior is consistent and repeatable. 

I've tried both "extend display" and "duplicate display" in Windows Settings and get the same result.

The new monitor (which does not detect a signal after a sleep/wake cycle) is on DVI-D port 2. It uses a basic/standard 3ft/1m cable.

The existing monitor (which as been working fine for years) is on DVI-D port 1. It uses a high/qualitiy  6ft/2m cable.  

I've reversed the monitors (exchanged DVI-D ports) but when I do that the new monitor giving me the headache flickers - I think it does not like the longer DVD-D cable.

I've got the latest BIOS and drivers available from Dell. Yes, I know, this is an old computer, but it otherwise works just fine! It has been very stable in other ways throughout its long lifetime as WinVista, Win7, and now Win10.

Dell Inspiron 530

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

Monitor 1 (working) ViewSonic VX2235wm (Windows detects as "ViewSonic VX2235wm")

Monitor 2 (problem) NEC LCD223WXM (Windows detects as "Generic PnP Monitor")

Both monitors are set to their native 1680x1050 65kHz/60Hz refresh rates.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We appreciate that you are helping us to be aware of the issue in this update (KB4038788). In this case, we suggest that you submit this issue to the Feedback Hub.

When you submit a feedback item, we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help our engineers address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. You can report this issue or upvote an existing feedback item by following the steps provided on this link.

Feel free to get back to us if we can help you with anything else.

Sorry this didn't help.

You must be the coworker of this person Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi AKA PA Bear - MS MVP . Two troglodytes who like to wag the tail thinking you help us with this certified BS answer. Typical Microsoft.

The questions is do you have a solution or a workaround concerning the problem at had? If not then go play on a runway at your local airport.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Sir I just downloaded and installed KB4040724 and followed your instructions number two and it works. I shut off the system and rebooted and it a bit slow but it works.

Thank you for your help.

Sorry this didn't help.