C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable error on Windows 10

This morning when i opened my lappy, it started like the first time i am using (windows 10). Desktop blank, invisibleicons except recycle bin., Task view icon on the task bar. If i press anything like the wondows button or if i press cortana it never pops up. Help me please

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Power on or off a device / PC

Answer
Answer

Hello Vik,

This C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable error may occur due to corrupt or missing Windows files.

To troubleshoot the issue, you can follow these simple steps:

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile and check if it has the Desktop folder there.
  2. If the Desktop folder does not exist, then create a new folder and rename it as Desktop or copy it from C:\users\Default\Desktop.

Note: By default, C:\Users\Default is hidden. To unhide click on the View tab and check the Hidden Items box.

After you have created the folder, it is required that you give full permission to the folder. You can follow these steps to give full permission:

1. Right click on the folder, select Properties then click on the Security tab.
  2. Click on Edit.
  3. On the Permissions for Desktop window, select Everyone and then click on Add.
  4. In the Enter the object names to select dialog box, type Everyone and click on Check Names.
  5. Click OK.

If you need further assistance, let us know.

81 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 72,566 Applies to: