CPU clock speed sometimes capped at 0.4GHz

Sometimes when I turn on my laptop it runs really slow, when I open the task manager during this issue the CPU usage never goes over 16%.   I ran the intel extreme tuning utility and it showed the CPU clock speed as being capped at 0.4GHz.  The CPU is an Intel i5 - 6200U cpu which should run at up to 2.8Ghz.

The only antivirus i am running is windows defender and malware bytes anti malware. 

I found a temporary solution on Reddit which was to go into the device manager and uninstall "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" and detect for hardware changes then restart.  However the issue usually comes back eventually.  I have not found any way to reliably reproduce the issue and so it seems random. 

Here is the reddit topic i got the temporary fix from:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3qfsl0/low_cpu_usage_but_slow_performance/cwf4atx

Other times i turn on the laptop and it runs fine with the CPU running at up to 2.8Ghz as intended.  I rang Dell technical support and they concluded that it was a software issue and not a hardware one. I tried updating drivers but they are all up to date as is the bios.

I am not sure what to try next.  Any help would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated December 12, 2019 Views 5,328 Applies to:

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

We appreciate the time and effort you have put in to resolve the issue. I would like to assist you with further information from here.

The Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery component supports Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) control method batteries.

The issue you are facing is recurring itself possibly due to the fact that as soon as you uninstall the driver, Windows would install it back on through Windows update.

Note: In Windows 10, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates and drivers are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to prevent the driver from reinstall itself automatically and then check if it has any positive impact on the issue.

Ref: How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

Write to us with the updated information and we would be happy to assist you further.

Thank You.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I uninstalled the driver and ran that program but it was not on the list of selectable updates to hide. When i restarted the Laptop the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" had returned so I assume it is something Windows 10 installs automatically.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

At this point, I suggest you to boot the computer in safe mode with networking, and check if the issue still persist.

Safe Mode With Networking:

Follow the steps to boot to safe mode with networking:

1. Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

2. In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

3. Click the ‘Boot’ tab.

4. Under ‘Boot Options’, select the ‘Safe Boot’ option.

5. Choose the type of safe mode by selecting one of the options below the Safe boot check box: Select ‘Network’.

6. Click OK and then restart your PC.

Refer below link to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Write to us with the updated information for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.