Cannot find GRLDR Windows 10 after updating

I just did an iso install and everything was fine until I shutdown with installing updates. Now it's not rebooting and says it can't find GRLDR. What do I do next?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Patrica,

Provide us with the information below to help you better.

• Do you have different dual operating system(Ubuntu and windows) installed on your system?

It is always recommended not to Shutdown the computer when updates are getting installed on your computer, doing this might cause serious problem to your computer.

If you are having single operating system that is Windows 10 on your computer follow the below method to fix your issue.

I suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO file, create an installation media from other working computer to perform automatic repair of the computer that you are unable to boot.

Step 1: Download Windows 10 from the below link and create media creation tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10?ppud=4

Step 2: After creating the tool perform a Start up Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup, Startup Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings and more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically.

Perform the Automatic Repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be F12.
  • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
  • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to CD\DVD ROM.
  • After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
  •  Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
  •  Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
  •  Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click Automatic repair.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Regards,
Darshan J

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Oh, thank you. I finally inserted the flash drive with the iso on it and chose Repair My Computer and I uninstalled the updates. Thank God there was a restore point Windows created before it updated! Everything 's okay now. Yay!!!!!! ☺
Choose Jesus. Make Heaven your home today!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Patrica,

Glad to know the issue is resolved.

Further if you have any issues with Windows you can use this forum to seek help.

Regards,
Darshan J

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried this. The Automatic repair did not work. My restore points have disappeared.  After MSI BIOS runs and before Windows 10 can start the following error is reported: "Cannot find GRLDR".

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can trigger the issue you are having in finding GRLDR. To make sure we have not missed anything about your query, may we know if you encountered the same difficulty after updating to Windows 10 as stated by the original owner of the post? You can also provide your device's make, model and specifications.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you know why the PC has a GRUB bootloader used to boot Linux or Ubuntu operating systems?  Did someone previously Dual Boot Linux on the PC?  Is there more than one hard drive and the BIOS is attempting to start another hard drive with Linux instead of the Windows drive? 

Restart the PC into BIOS setup or UEFI firmware to check the Boot Priority order.  For UEFI it should be only Windows Boot Manager, for Legacy BIOS it should be the specific hard drive Windows is installed upon.  If in doubt unplug all other hard drives except the Windows drive, and unplug all USB and peripherals too.   Four Methods to Access UEFI BIOS Setup in Windows 8/10 PC/Laptop/Tablet

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know what you find.

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the timely response.

Windows 10 upgrade was installed and working well.

Then I installed CyberLink Media Suite 15 trial.

CyberLink Media Suite 15 trial would not uninstall normally.

This problem started after:

1) After I uninstalled CyberLink Media Suite 15 using Revo Uninstaller free version.

(GRLDR would run after motherboard BIOS and before Windows 10)

2) After I ran ASAST antivirus on bootup.

(Now "Cannot find GRLDR " message started appearing between motherboard BIOS and Windows 10)

Motherboard is msi Z270-A PRO, BIOS is AMI

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I had not seen evidence of and was not aware of "GRUB boot loader" prior to using Revo Uninstaller.

I am presently running AVAST Antivirus from a boot disk. I'll get back to you after it has finished.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would not use Avast which has not been recommended by any experts in forums (where we see the most cases) since it bloated up and started causing issues 7-8 years ago.  Uninstall it with Avast Uninstall Utility Download aswClear for Avast Removal and default to built-in Defender for best Windows performance and adequate protection. 

CyberLink is a bloatware suite that can also cause issues and is a reason no tech enthusiast will run the bloated factory install but prefer the vastly superior Clean Install Windows 10,  which compiles the best possible install of Windows 10 that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given. 

If you never had GRUB bootloader then you have serious corruption causing your system to produce errors that only relate to it. 

In your case I would wipe the drive to Clean Install Windows 10 and stick only with the tools and methods given to assure the very best install which will stay that way as long as you do. 

There is also the automated Windows 10 Refresh which will reinstall Windows while saving your files but shed the corrupting factory bloatware.  But with a GRUB error I'd delete all partitions first which requires the Clean Install. 

Short of that you can go over the Windows 10 Performance and Install Integrity Checklist - Microsoft Community to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs get done. 

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. 

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Because the machine was trying to load the GRLDR before the OS, I cleared the CMOS using the "Clear CMOS Jumper" on the motherboard.

I restarted the machine with the default BIOS them did a Bios update to get back to where I was before the problems began. I have disconnected all hard drives except the system hard drive and am now doing a clean install of Windows 10 on freshly reformatted partitions.

I do have a Carbonite subscription to fall back on if necessary for data. I am taking note of and will look at all your recommendations.

Thank you,

I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Richard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2024 Views 15,129 Applies to: