Cannot change the permissions for a registry key to fix DCOM error Event ID 10016

Looking at the event viewer, when windows starts. I see there is a DCOM error (Event ID 10016) the seems to be about the DCOM CDP service.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
 and APPID 
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I followed a few posts to try and correct the error but while I could change the ownership to Administrators, I could not change any permissions for the registry key to full control for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}

Is there a service that I need to stop in order to be able to change the permissions? Or is administrator not a high enough user level?

I also got the Event ID 10016 error for a different DCOM service RuntimeBroker.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
 and APPID 
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I also have the same problem when trying to change the permission on the key: 

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}

Answer
Answer

We suggest that you enable the built-in Administrator account to troubleshoot your concern. Unlike the normal Administrator account, built-in Administrator account runs all programs and tools with admin rights by default. This means that all programs that are launched from this account are running without any restrictions.

To enable the built-in Administrator account, follow these steps:

1. Open Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. In the elevated Command Prompt, type the following command and then press Enter.
    • Net user administrator /active:yes

Close the Command Prompt and run the steps again to fix the error message. To disable the built-in Administrator account, simply type Net user administrator /active:no in the elevated Command Prompt.

Please post back with the status of the issue, we'll be glad to assist you further.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 5, 2024 Views 8,279 Applies to: