Boot Windows 10 in Safe Mode

In Windows 10, many troubleshooting processes require you to enter into Safe Mode before resolving your issues. You can get to Windows 10 Safe Mode in two different ways.

If the operating system is able to boot successfully and allows you to log on to your computer with an administrator account, entering into Windows 10 Safe Mode should be easy (and so would rectifying the issue). If you are able to log on to the Windows with an administrator account, the OS has no startup related issue and you can get to the Safe Mode by following the instructions below:
  1. Log on to the Windows 10 computer with any administrator account.
  2. Once on the desktop screen, press the Windows + R keys simultaneously on the keyboard.
  3. In the available field of the opened Run command box, type MSCONFIG and press Enter.
  4. From the System Configuration box, go to the Boot tab.
  5. Under the Boot options section, check the Safe boot checkbox.
  6. Click OK, and when prompted, click Restart to start Windows 10 in Safe Mode. Alternatively you can also click the Exit without restart button to continue working with the OS, and allow Windows 10 to boot in safe mode the next time the computer starts.

• On the other hand, if Windows 10 doesn’t boot properly or no longer allows you to log on with an administrator account, you can enable the legacy Advanced Boot Options menu that allows you to press F8 upon statup. It will display the additional boot options from which you can get to the safe mode in Windows 10.
    You can enable the Advanced Boot Options menu by following the below instructions.
    1. Power on your PC.
    2. Use the appropriate key(s) to enter into the BIOS setup.
    3. Configure your PC’s BIOS to use CD/DVD drive as the first boot device.
    4. Insert the Windows 10 bootable disc, save the BIOS settings, and restart the computer with the Windows 10 DVD.
    5. On the first displayed screen, click Next, and then click Repair your computerfrom the next box.

6. From the Choose an option window, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced optionsCommand Prompt.

7. In the opened command-line interface, type C: and press Enter.
    8. Once the first commend executes successfully, type BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY command and press Enter.

Note: The above command enables the legacy Advanced Boot Options menu that you can access by pressing the F8 key during the computer startup. To disable this, you can follow the above steps, and use the BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD command instead and pressEnter.
    9. In the command line-interface itself, this time type EXIT and press Enter.
    10. Eject the inserted Windows 10 bootable disc.
    11. Back on the Choose an option window, click Continue.
    12. Optionally, revert the BIOS settings back to default or set the hard disk drive as the first bootable device, and restart the computer.
    13. Once the computer shuts down and begins to restart, start pressing the F8 key repeatedly until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu.
    14. When displayed, use the arrow keys to go to (highlight) the Safe Mode option and press Enter to start Windows 10 in safe mode.

• |

Was this discussion helpful?

Yes
    No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thanks for making this so "easy".  Is there a reason this is not an automatic default option?  With all the free upgrades (and no Windows 10 startup disks) it makes it EXTREMELY difficult to fix video driver errors that cause your system to crash upon startup. I'm just going back to Win 8.

83 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
    No

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Never mind. This time when I started I read the options closer and Windows 10 makes it easier to repair your computer. You just need to go to advanced options and then the last menu option which I don't recall what it is. Video drivers. Sigh. 

22 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
    No

Sorry this didn't help.

Be specific       on answers                                what is  this   I cant recall the option         and  how did  video drivers come   on  a win 10 windows update discussion

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
    No

Sorry this didn't help.

Of course with the UAC "Yes" box greyed out, and the Admin Passwd having no place to type, NONE of these solutions will work. PUT SAFE MODE BACK IN WIN 10!!!!!!! or at least make recovery options non admin items!!!!
    emaerhtsisiht

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
    No

Sorry this didn't help.

OK    I   wonder   how and why      MS deviated   from    the    original        format    Restart    press  F8     

if I   recall   I      opened msconfig      then   checked    safe mode  and   restarted and  Win 7 U   opened in    safe mode     but    10     is   different  altogether                                  and   one   needs to   be   aware  of   what to   and not to do         as Windows 10          lacks   Help  offline      you must  be     having  the  internet  connection       working  

14 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
    No

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried this (option 2) but it did not work.  After I typed in BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY  at the C: prompt I get the message "An error occurred while attempting to reference the specified entry. The system cannot find the file specified."

98 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
    No

Sorry this didn't help.

Please type everything in lower case, IE:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

And then use the following to reset it to standard:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

24 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
    No

Sorry this didn't help.

All I want to be able to do is access my 'Pictures' folder. I keep getting an 'access denied' error. I can access the 'Video' folder. I have performed the following and still have no access:

Hello,

Thanks for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with this issue.

Please answer the following questions for better understanding of the issue:

1. Did you make any recent changes prior to this issue?
    2. Did you install any Third Party application on your system prior to this issue?

Let us try performing some troubleshooting steps and check if that helps resolving the issue.

Method 1: Perform Safe Mode

Run your computer in Safe mode and see if you still get that error message. If you are not getting that error message in safe mode then perform clean boot on your computer using the steps provided below. If you don't get that error message in safe mode then it means that some third party application is causing the problem.  

Refer to the link and follow the steps “Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)”

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Check if you face the same issue in safe mode. If the issue doesn’t persists in safe mode, the place the computer in clean boot and check.

Try boot the computer in safe mode and then try shutting down the computer.

Method 2: Perform Clean Boot

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Refer to the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start as usual. Steps applies to Windows 10 as well.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Disclaimer: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps.

Method 3: Try the following steps 
    a) Type Services into the start menu search box.
    b) In Services, scroll down to "Remote Procedure Call" and make sure the status says "Started" and set to Automatic.
    c) The second "RPC Locator" should be set to "Manual".

Later try installing updates and check.

Hope it helps, if you still have any query feel free to post. I will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards.

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
    No

Sorry this didn't help.

Why the frick won't your stupid os load in safe mode!? Pressing F8 doesn't do a freaking thing. Try making something that freaking works!

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
    No

Sorry this didn't help.

31I agree with you. IT WAS STUPID for Microsoft to change the old F8, where we could go to safe mode for ONE session, fix something or test it and hen reboot and you are BACK in OS.

I did it their NEW way and it took me HOURS to get back to OS because all it would do is kept booting in SAFE MODE, did not ASK me which I wanted as that would have been TOO simple and then without the internet in SAFE MODE, could not find how to GET BACK INTO OS.

STUPID, and I see NO disadvantage to eliminate the old F8 option except to make it more difficult for us.

THEY could have done the fancy new way BUT left the old F8 active.

Now am afraid to go into SAFE MODE as may not STUMBLE back on how to get BACK to OS (dangerous mode)

19 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
    No

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 27, 2021 Views 102,169 Applies to: