Adapt scaling for a specific app

Hi,

I am discovering my new surface book and I love its ultra-sharp display.

However, some programs are almost unusable because of the high resolution.

Scrivener (just to name one) displays elements that are just too small to be selected. This might be a deal breaker for me...

Is there a way to adapt scaling on a per app-basis ?

Thanks

Hello William,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience.

Please be informed, some desktop applications (except for the Modern Apps) may appear somewhat blurry or crisp sharp when you compare them with other applications on the screen.

In order to provide an optimal experience on high-DPI displays, desktop applications have to detect the DPI of the display that is being used and then scale their graphical elements, text, and screen layout appropriately. Some applications do not implement this. In some cases, the application vendor may be able to provide an updated software version that better supports high-DPI displays.

If there is no updated DPI-aware version of the application available, you may be able to alter the appearance of the application.

You can disable display scaling for an individual desktop app in Windows 10. Here’s how: 

• In the search box, type the name of the app.
  • Select the app’s tile and tap or click Open file location to open File Explorer on the desktop.
  • In File Explorer, tap and hold (or right-click) the app’s executable (.exe) file and select Properties.
  • Select the Compatibility tab.
  • In the Settings section, select Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.
  • Click OK and check with the results.  

Hope the above information is helpful.

Thank You.

56 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 7, 2020 Views 17,903 Applies to: