A process called "Microsoft OneDrive Setup" is constantly using 15-20% of my CPU for the third day in a row now

For the third day now I'm noticing that my computer is constantly warming up and using its fans more. Turns out, the process "Microsoft OneDrive Setup" (located in AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\Update\OneDriveSetup.exe") is consuming 15-20% of the CPU. If I kill the process, it goes away for a while, but then returns. If I reboot the PC, the process is once again there. It doesn't seem to be doing anything visible, and it's been going on for over two days now. Please advise.

***Post moved to the appropriate forum category***

Question Info

Last updated February 13, 2020 Views 41,049 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

This is what worked for me:

1. Uninstall OneDrive

2. Remove (or move to desktop) whole folder %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive
    Installation of newest version of OneDrive also freeze without this step.

Warning, because of this  you will have to sign in again to OneDrive, with your email and password ( and 2-Step     Verification if you have this enabled) and also chose folders to sync.

3. Reboot (not sure if needed)

4. Download newest version of OneDrive from Microsoft site, install it and sign in to set up your account.

69 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Answer from here (japanese) solved it for me. Here is the translation:

1. Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Create a new user with a local user and group name using only alphabets. Add to the Administrator group.
2. Log off from the user experiencing the problem, log in with the new user (OneDrive is not enabled), right click on OneDriveSetup.exe and execute it as "Run as administrator".
-> Setup will proceed and OneDrive will launch. The version is that of Setup.exe.
3. Log off with the new user, log in as the original problem user. OneDrive remains old.
4. Exit OneDrive by right-clicking on the icon.
5. Open the folder C: \ Users \ (New User) \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ OneDrive and copy the following files and folders to the folder C: \ Users \ (Problem user) \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ OneDrive Overwrite the copy.
(Version name example: this time it is 17.3.6917.0607) Folder
Settings folder
Setup folder
Update folder
OneDrive.exe
OneDriveStandaloneUpdater.exe
6. Even if you execute overwritten C: \ Users \ (problem user) \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ OneDrive \ OneDrive.exe, the version notation displayed by setting the icon right-click - settings remains outdated. Turn off OneDrive again.
7. Run OneDriveSetup.exe with the right click "Run as administrator" as above step 2.
-> Now setup will proceed and OneDrive will launch. The version has been updated to that of Setup.exe.

41 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.