0xc0000454 Starting Problem

Sometime my laptop start up with an error code of 0xc0000454

error message: The boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

If I wait for 30 seconds ~ 1 minute, I will go to the window screen.

My laptop is Asus Gl502vs with 256 G SSD and 1TB HDD

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Question Info

Last updated November 3, 2019 Views 6,672 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Solution:

TLDR; Disable Smart Self test in Advanced in BIOS and Disable Secure Boot.

This had been frustrating me for weeks - initially the Creators Update wouldn't install as an upgrade and then with a manual install I was getting the above error. Solution thanks to poptaz3r over on the ASUS ROG forums... https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92349-Windows-Creator-Update-Installation-Failure-on-GL502VS/page10&p=648888#post648888

"The more I mess with this the more I think it is a BIOS bug dealing with the power cycling on reboot. My guess is that on reboots the BIOS power cycles to quickly and causes the system to not read the NVMe drive. That is why a cold power down can reacquire the drive. This could be the result of larger capacitors on these OEM Samsung drives, but this is all just a guess. At any rate I found a workaround that has been stable for me. (below) 

Ok in BIOS under advanced changing the Smart self test setting to DISABLE. This allowed the update AE>CE install to complete with no BCD fails. 

Another BIOS change I made was to turn off secure boot because it was preventing me from entering recovery environment (safe mode) 

So with both of these settings changed in the BIOS I am back on the stock NVMe drive and all appears stable with no reboot BCD errors."

This solved the problem for me and hope it helps you guys too.

65 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.