Windows keeps automatically adding EN-US keyboard layout

For some reason, Windows seems to regularly check to see if I'm using the EN-US keyboard layout, and adds it if I'm not. (Normally, I use a variety of other layouts.) This ends up adding another entry to my already long list of layouts to cycle through.

It appears without an entry in the add/remove keyboards settings screen. In order to delete it, I have to first add it via the normal method - then, if I delete the normally-added keyboard, the erroneous entry goes away. It then reappears sometime later, requiring me to go through the process again.

I might have thought that it's being added because I'm not using the 'default' layout, but my system language is not English (it's Japanese). It's not the 'default' anything unless Windows as a whole treats it as somehow more default than all other things. Windows seems quite fine with me not using the default Japanese layout (I use Google's, not Microsoft's) - the Microsoft one reappeared after the Anniversary Update, but hasn't come back after having been sent away.

This seems like an odd bug. Any workarounds, so my layout list doesn't keep having a useless entry taking up space?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There is a solution that finally got rid of the god damned keyboards for me! It came from an Apex Legends post on Reddit. In my case the keyboards were added as soon as I started the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/bagwsw/apex_legends_changes_my_keyboard_language_on_its/

The solution is:

• Open regedit

• Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts\

• Rename the folder (key) that matches the "zombie" keyboard layout to something else, like 00000409-NO

• Reboot your PC

Since there might be multiple keyboards being added, you can see the names by clicking on each folder and it will show in the right pane. Rename all the folders of the keyboards that keep coming back, reboot and enjoy!

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Well I had to make an account in order to answer this.

The reason this problem happened in my case was because I was working in a program that did not support displaying Unicode text(TexStudio). For windows 10, which was my OS, the way to solve this is the following:

- Go to Control Panel>Region>Administrative

- Click Change system locale and change the current system locale language to English(US) or whichever is your choice.

- The modification requires restart

The reason because I had additional UK keyboard appearing was because my current system locale was set to English(United Kingdom). It appears that if windows detects that the currently used program does not support unicode text display, it switches to the set option in current system locale.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Brilliant. That's similar to what was happening to me. I use EN-US KB but Location is Ireland, Locale is RU-UA, and yesterday one poorly coded game required me to switch it to EN-UK.  This drove Windows crazy, installing a ton of English-related language, KBs, speech recognition.....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the other solutions posted here failed (it did for me) try this (problem is fixed for me):

1- In your computer settings, add the reappearing keyboard to your list of keyboards, set it as default and delete your other keyboards. Then re-add the keyboard you actually want and delete the reappearing keyboard. 

or

2- Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layouts\" and delete the reappearing keyboard 

Thus far (a few minutes and a few reboots) after wrestling with this issue (in my case the involuntary and unwelcome  re-appearance of US keyboard in MS Access) for several years,  and having tried many of the above solutions both individually and in combination, your one seems to have done the trick for me. I can't thank you enough!

At the same time I fully accept the sensible and necessary point re-iterated by a number of contributors and notably Peter Njeim that the "solution" to this long-running problem (sometimes suite of problems?) will inevitably vary from situation to situation. The calm and reasoned suggestions of most contributors have been most helpful. Thank you all.

STOP PRESS Spoke too soon!  Although the (unwanted) US keyboard layout has disappeared from the list of keyboards, typing still produces a US layout , i.e. @ for " etc.

A couple of additional observations:

(1) I am puzzled by the fact that the problem occurs on three of the home PCs (2 x HP and 1 x Packard Bell) but not on the fourth (an Acer). Settings (Region, language etc.) are, as far as I can detect, the same on all four. The OS and update status are the same on all four. They share a (mixed WiFi / Ethernet) network.

(2) The problem does NOT occur if I use Word (Office 365 version) , but kicks in as soon as Access is opened. Thereafter it affects Word too. Puzzling (at least to me!) Could it be a "template" issue??

That said, and my problem still unresolved, I stand by my other remarks and am grateful to all who have suggested solutions, some of which have happily worked for some users.

Martin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks dude, looks like it's the only dirty way I can cope with these **** layouts, the problem which's been haunting me for two years already

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe I have found the solution to this problem! In my case, I have the English (United Kingdom) version of Windows 10 Pro installed (even though I live in Canada) and I have the English (Canada) US Keyboard layout as my default, but it keeps adding English (United Kingdom) UK Keyboard layout automatically, which is very frustrating when you are used to a certain amount of key presses to get to a certain language.

The solution I found is to go to Control Panel, and click on Region. When the new window opens, on the top, click on the Administrative tab. In the Welcome screen and new windows accounts section, click on the Copy settings... button. Another window should open.I'm just showing a screenshot to help you see what's going on, but since I already did the fix, it looks different from what it used to be. What you'll see, probably, is that the "Current User" section is exactly what you want, display language, input language, format, and location are all what you set yourself. However, the Welcome screen section and New user accounts section might be different, and it might be adding wrong keyboards to you account! The way to fix this, is to check BOTH boxes at the bottom, which will copy your Current user accounts settings to the other 2 sections.

The UK keyboard hasn't came back for 1 week now (I didn't want to post this saying it was fixed before I waited long enough) but it seems like it worked. Hopefully it should work for keyboards other than UK coming back, but I guess we'll see!

This is the solution which worked for me.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

dude, wait for an update, it'll most certainly destroy all your settings. in my case all my regional settings are overwritten with each windows update. but layouts are not added, since I deliberately spoilt them with @visi0n method 

I believe I have found the solution to this problem! In my case, I have the English (United Kingdom) version of Windows 10 Pro installed (even though I live in Canada) and I have the English (Canada) US Keyboard layout as my default, but it keeps adding English (United Kingdom) UK Keyboard layout automatically, which is very frustrating when you are used to a certain amount of key presses to get to a certain language.

The solution I found is to go to Control Panel, and click on Region. When the new window opens, on the top, click on the Administrative tab. In the Welcome screen and new windows accounts section, click on the Copy settings... button. Another window should open.I'm just showing a screenshot to help you see what's going on, but since I already did the fix, it looks different from what it used to be. What you'll see, probably, is that the "Current User" section is exactly what you want, display language, input language, format, and location are all what you set yourself. However, the Welcome screen section and New user accounts section might be different, and it might be adding wrong keyboards to you account! The way to fix this, is to check BOTH boxes at the bottom, which will copy your Current user accounts settings to the other 2 sections.

The UK keyboard hasn't came back for 1 week now (I didn't want to post this saying it was fixed before I waited long enough) but it seems like it worked. Hopefully it should work for keyboards other than UK coming back, but I guess we'll see!

This is the solution which worked for me.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This might be an old bug, and it still has no fix, but your post got it fixed for me, so i love you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Control Panel has no Language Setting in Windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There Language setting on neither Windows Settings nor Control Panel.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i did everythink but it be aded alwayes again and again! US keyboad! i delet it everyday! and it come tommory again! i search in internet since 4 month and try every way!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 128,499 Applies to: