Question

Q: windows 10 windows update keeps turning it self back on after i turn it off

I do not want to hear about how i should leave it on or how it has gotten better or how i can set what time it reboots i want it turned off and want it to stay that damn way. To date in the last 2 weeks i have disabled it in service about 20 damn times and it has turned it self back on every damn time. This has just recently started happening i want it off and want it to stay off. I am a computer tech with 25 years experience and this is just nonsense that i can not have my computer work the way i want it to. How the heck do you turn this nonsense off perm?

Moved From:  Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

Answer

A:

Following a recent update, Windows 10 will aggressively re-enable the Windows Update service even if an administrator has disabled the service.  The procedure below prevents the service from running by changing the account credentials used to run the service.  Note that Windows Defender will still be able to update virus definitions, but no other Windows OS updates will occur.

• Win+R to open Run dialog (must be administrator)
  • Open: services.msc 
  • Double click Windows Update service to open properties
  • Click Stop to halt the service.
  • Click the Log On tab
  • Select Log on as: This account:  .\Guest
  • Leave password blank
  • Click Apply

An error will be logged in the System Log each time Windows attempts to start the service: "The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process."

To enable updates, repeat the procedure but set Log on as: Local System account and start the service.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

207 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 27,828 Last updated: July 16, 2018 Applies to: