Windows 10 - VPN - first list connect and sort alphabetically

After upgrading to Windows 10 (from 8.1) I have small problem with VPN connections.

Win 8.1 - click on network icon in task bar, scroll the list of VPN connection, double click customer (of click connect) and that's it.

Win 10 - click on network icon in task bar, scroll thru non-alphabetically sorted list (list as per VPN was added in), click on client then another window appear with exactly same not sorted VPN connection list where I need to scroll up and down to find customer again and then click connect.

When connected - active connection don't appear on the top of list as it was before ...

To disconnect - need to click first list then search customer on second (non-alphabeticall) list to disconnect.

Anyone found on how to resolve this ??

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you unable to sort the connected and active networks connections on your computer, we will help you to resolve this issue.

First I suggest you to run the Network troubleshooter first and then test your Internet connection.

• Open the Network troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering network troubleshooter in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Identify and repair network problems.

Also, refer to the link below about: “Wired and wireless network problems”:
Wired and wireless network problems

Hope this information is helpful. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry but above advice is like scanning excel file with antivirus to soft alphabetically all entries.

I would like to:

- be able to connect VPN from first list - after clicking network icon in systray

- after successful connection be able to so who im connected to - at the moment after connection everyone on the list looks the same, there is no button disconnect until I click company VPN from list (in previous Windows after successful connection, this connection become first on the top of VPN list

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

VPN in windows 10 is shocking! I have over 50 connections and they are not alphabetical! and the reason behind having to select the connection to go to another window to connect to a VPN is ridiculous

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you unable to sort the connected and active networks connections on your computer, we will help you to resolve this issue.

First I suggest you to run the Network troubleshooter first and then test your Internet connection.

• Open the Network troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering network troubleshooter in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Identify and repair network problems.

Also, refer to the link below about: “Wired and wireless network problems”:
Wired and wireless network problems

Hope this information is helpful. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you.

Are you f***ing kidding me? Is this seriously your response to this question? I came on here to get an answer to this same problem. I would've laughed at the ridiculousness of this response had it not angered me so much coming from a so-called "Microsoft Support Engineer"

The Windows 10 insider builds I tested had the VPN connections alphabetized, but the final release does not...extremely irritating when you have a lot of customers to support with VPN connections for each. The insider builds also at least had the ability to connect via the Network icon in the task bar. I voted many times to add the ability to modify the connection settings from that same location, instead they take everything away from that menu and force you to open a new window to access the VPN connections. And even then the Advanced Options doesn't expose *all* the options for your VPN connection, forcing you to then have to dig into the "Change adapter settings" screen. I routinely have to change the default gateway depending on whether something is down on the other end...which reminds me, I can't even access that setting anymore. When I go to the properties of a VPN connection from the list of Network Connections, when I go to the Networking tab I can't even view the Properties of Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)...it just does nothing.

Everything involving VPN connections is seriously my biggest irk with Windows 10 at this point. Please fix.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Regarding the alphabetizing...I found a simple way to fix that manually without having to wait for them to fix Windows 10. Your VPN connections are kept in a file named "rasphone.pbk", which is located in the following folder:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\

Open that file in a text editor and just manually arrange them in the order you like. Might take you some time, but it will probably save you in frustration when you actually need to use them.

While you're at it you might also want to back up the file. You can easily copy it to other computers to transfer all your VPN connections/settings.

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

It is still utterly stupid that I now how to click on the vpn connection in the wireless menu, have another window pop up and then double-click on a connection.

And do you really expect someone in India to really give a rip about actual Windows 10 issues? It's another disgusting example of Microsoft's tier-1 (really, tier-0) level of (non) support.

Sorry this didn't help.

My views exactly! Come on Microsoft Listen to us!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't tried this but what I did try is to rename my connections in windows one by one which seemed to move them to the bottom and in the right order. But after connecting and disconnecting they are in a random order again. 

I believe that this will happen after you change them with notepad. 

It is unbelievable that the latest version of Windows makes it more difficult to connect or organize your VPN connections, and we are talking about Windows PRO. 

Issues: when you click on the list you can't tell to which one you're connected.

The list of VPN next to the clock loads every time (it's not instant as it was previously). 

Choosing any of the connections will only open another window and the list will load again.

And surprise surprise you need to scroll again and find the one that you want to be able to connect.

Really shocked with how Microsoft released Windows 10 with such a big problem.

Hope there will be a fix soon. In the meantime you're better off double clicking on the PBK and connecting from there. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Issues: when you click on the list you can't tell to which one you're connected.

Thanks to Microsoft I have now open two extra windows all the time - settings and network connections (right click network icon in systray, then Open Network and Sharing Centre, then Change adapter settings) - thanks to this window I can c when I'm still VPN out as two connection would be blue, then I know what to search on SETTINGS list to disconnect., as already got few times swearing loud as my connection was failing - just because previous one was not disconnected.

MICROSOFT - just copy settings/config/code/whatever-you-need  from Win7 PRO - dont invent anythgin new please please please ! ! !

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is is utterly pathetic,

I have well over 50 VPN's to connect to client Networks and each time I have to click on the network icon then select my VPN for another window to appear, I then have to find my VPN in a non alphabetical list and then click connect, Why cant Microsoft leave the Good features as they are, e.g. let me connect and disconnect my VPN's from the network icon in the system tray.

HOWEVER! I have found a Temp workaround to make my life that little bit easier until Microsoft fit it. Basically go to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\ copy the file 'rasphone.pbk' and paste in Documents or Desktop, then Double click on it and a 'Network Connections' Window will appear, this lists them alphabetically and lets you connect to them, edit them and create new ones without the stupid Windows 10 settings screen.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2020 Views 12,727 Applies to: